cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Reserving bandwith on a per subnet basis...

connie
Level 1
Level 1

Is there any way that I can reserve bandwidth on a specific subnet on a 2500 router?

Scenario:

I have a valid class C address range (196.25.25.x), and a private class B address range on site A. The class C address has direct access to one of our production servers outside our firewall on site B. We have a 192KB link from site A to our Head Office (HO). from HO, we have a 64KB link to our offsite production server on site B.

The problem is that the 192KB link between site A and HO is always full - so full that users on site A cannot access the production server on site B. The production system is not too bandwidth intensive, but with the link being full, it simply cannot work!

Is there any way that I can "reserve" about 32KB for the valid class C address range, and keep the rest for the class B's for connecting to HO?

1 Reply 1

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You need to implement some Qos.

In your case since you want to reserve some BW, you need CBWFQ (Class Based Weighted Fair Queueing)

your first define you class:

class-map HighPrio

match ip address 101

!

class-map LowPrio

match ip address 102

!

Then you define your policy

policy-map

class HighPrio

bandwidth 32kb

This approximatively what you need to do.

syntax may vary. Check Cisco documentation to find out sample configs and exact command syntax.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card