Helpful
Replies

Rookie: Connecting a 3Com Hub to a Catalyst 3550 Switch

tholder
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Here is our network.

t1 -> 2600 Router -> VPN/Gateway Intel Box -> Hub -> Workstations & 3550 Series Switch -> More Workstations.

Okay, I know this is a horrible way to have a network setup but that is how it was done and I need to get it up and running. Now everyone before the switch can communicate together great, but once you hit the switch its dead.

I can telnet to the switch with a dedicated line just fine. Once a hub is plugged into the switch though, the switch acts like nothing is there. Can someone please tell me how I need to configure the switch and the ports. I am quite new to networking but I am trying to help out this company as a favor. I have a little background but not much, so I am a bit despreate for the help. Thanks a lot!

-Trent

2 Replies 2

svermill
Level 4
Level 4

May be other issues but remember that you usually need an ethernet rollover cable between a switch and a hub.

fullerms
Level 1
Level 1

Could also be a link negotiation problem. You have not mentioned the speed of the hub. Try forcing the switch port to match the speed and duplex settings of the hub.