cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ROUTABLE SUBNET QUESTION

rajesh444
Level 1
Level 1

Currently, we have a Cisco 7206 router with 1 FastEthernet interface configured for with an IP from a routable subnet we use. There is another routable block [Class C] that we split into 4 /26 blocks. We want to use 2 of these /26 blocks on the this router.

From the ISP side, routing has been done for these address blocks.

Do I need to have a physical router interface for each block that I want to use?

I tried configuring a loopback int. on the 7206 with an IP from one /26 block with the PIX firewall performing a NAT using IP from the same block but we are unable to access this IP from the Internet.

Please advice.

Thanks,

RAJ

3 Replies 3

rsissons
Level 5
Level 5

I am not sure I completely understand your question but you need a separate physical interface in the router for each different network address unless you use secondary addresses to map multiple network addresses to the same interface.

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you know of any Cisco links/documentation available on secondary interfaces?

Thanks,

RAJ

ndarnell
Level 1
Level 1

You either have to have seperate physical interfaces or alternatively if you have a switch you could setup a trunk and use sub-interfaces for each subnet

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card