Views
Helpful
Replies

Router Issue??

js358
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All:

Don't even know if this is a router issue but I'm grasping at this point.

Having a issue getting to Google.com. Used to work fine and then began an intermittent problem....would work one minute and not the next.

checked all of the obvious, DNS etc....still no good. Did a packet capture of a machine trying to connect to it and I can see the machine go to port 80 on their 1st IP, then the next ip port 80 and yet nothing. They must be load balanced or something.

Looked at my firewall logs and cannot see any packets being dropped. Only thing I can think of is the router. Anyway to look to see if it's dropping any of these packets in or out?

I would gladly welcome any suggestion. At my wits end with this.

Thanks

8 Replies 8

Hello,

which router do you have ? Can you post the configuration of the router ?

Google uses address space 64.233.160.0 - 64.233.191.255, and although that is unlikely, the router might have an access list configured blocking (part) of that address space.

Do you have anything else installed in your network, like e.g. a proxy server ?

Regards,

Georg

Georg - No proxy, router into firewall. I checked router config and no access lists configured. Pretty basic configuration (1720)

Current configuration : 1683 bytes

!

version 12.2

service timestamps debug datetime localtime

service timestamps log datetime localtime

service password-encryption

!

hostname CORP-1720

!

logging buffered 4096 informational

enable secret xxxxx

enable password xxxxx

!

memory-size iomem 25

clock timezone est -5

clock summer-time edt recurring

ip subnet-zero

no ip domain-lookup

!

ip audit notify log

ip audit po max-events 100

!

!

!

interface FastEthernet0

description corp line

ip address 64.x.x.x.x.255.0

speed auto

full-duplex

!

interface Serial0

description serial

ip address 64.150.x.x.x.x.252

encapsulation ppp

no fair-queue

no cdp enable

!

ip classless

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 64.150.228.125

no ip http server

!

!

dialer-list 1 protocol ip permit

dialer-list 1 protocol ipx permit

Really strange because one click and I can get to it. Next time it doesn't work. Thought it was DNS at first but it dies even if I got at it directly with IP address in browser. Driving me nuts

Here is what I did notice. If I clear counters and then make an attempt to connect, I see 5-10 dropped packets output...I'm thinking this router is dropping these requests for some reason.

Do you have any problem accessing other website?

Nope. And it's not any of the worms or adware out there. Every machine on this T1 is affected...which means it's either something in teh firewall, router or even on the ISP end (even though they say it's my issue)

I am currently experiencing a similar problem except with other websites as well. Like you said, DNS resolves fine one moment but not the next.

I have not figured out what causes this strange behavior, but I suspect the ISP. When I have users on the old T1, no problems. However, problems only arise when users are put onto the new T1.

Your backbone isn't QWEST by chance is it?

No, it's PSI. I have confirmed with the ISP that they are not doing any port blocking or packet filtering.

Are you seeing much collisions on your FastEthernet0?

No..if you are seeing that, it ay suggest a problem on the inside...mismatched interface etc