cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router Model to Support 4MB Leased Line Circuit

ayaz.akhtar
Level 1
Level 1

We would like to connect a customer branch office to our data centre over a 4MB leased line circuit.

We would also like to have an ISDN PRI backup link, giving the equivalent of an approx. 2MB backup circuit.

Is it possible to implement this solution?

What router models would be required at each end?

I would be grateful if you would suggest router modules required to implement the above, and provide links to sample configs on CCO.

Thanks in advance for your help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I would not recommend the 3600 for this. The 3620 and 3640A are probably nearing their end of sales date and are over-priced considering you have to buy the ethernet port you need as a separate module. The 3660 is a good box, but overkill for this requirement.

A 2600 series will do all this happily at lower cost than a 3600, and you have not suggested any need for analog support. I would recommend 2620XM router (with 1 x 10/100 ethernet built in), WIC-2T for the serial and NM-1CE1B for the PRI/ISDN (assuming the ISDN presentation is balanced). The 2620XM offers 30K pps forwarding which will easily support 4Mbit/s line rate. The WIC-2T will support 1 or 2 4Mbit/s interfaces on the 2600 chassis, but the other WIC slot on the chassis must not be used if either of the ports exceeds 2Mbit/s.

HTH

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

tepatel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can use cisco 3600 series router with WIC-2T module in NM-2W. WIC-2T will support 4mbps when used with NM-2W (or with NM-1FE1R2W, NM-1FE2W, NM-2FE2W). Pl. visit following for more on that

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/pcat/sewn__y2.htm

Now as far as backup with PRI goes, 1 channelized E1/PRI line also be supported in 3600 router. Visit following for that

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/107/hw-e1.shtml

So 3640 router will be the best choice which can host all those above modules with Digital modems NM-XXDM for analog calls over isdn PRI line as well.

I would not recommend the 3600 for this. The 3620 and 3640A are probably nearing their end of sales date and are over-priced considering you have to buy the ethernet port you need as a separate module. The 3660 is a good box, but overkill for this requirement.

A 2600 series will do all this happily at lower cost than a 3600, and you have not suggested any need for analog support. I would recommend 2620XM router (with 1 x 10/100 ethernet built in), WIC-2T for the serial and NM-1CE1B for the PRI/ISDN (assuming the ISDN presentation is balanced). The 2620XM offers 30K pps forwarding which will easily support 4Mbit/s line rate. The WIC-2T will support 1 or 2 4Mbit/s interfaces on the 2600 chassis, but the other WIC slot on the chassis must not be used if either of the ports exceeds 2Mbit/s.

HTH