cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router pinging firewall appliance on boot up: Is this normal?

jedwards
Level 1
Level 1

I bounced my Cisco Router 2620 and my firewall applicance this weekend. I turned both off, turned the router on and let it go through it's initial check. Then I turned on my firewall, which is on the inside of the router. When I checked the logs of my firewall I saw the router pinging the firewall for a few minutes then it stopped. Is that normal behavior?

Thank for any help you can provide.

Jamie

4 Replies 4

rfroom
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Is the Router configured as an DHCP server?

It shouldn't be. But, I don't know for sure because my ISP set it up when I bought our T1. I know enough to change the passwords, but that basically ends my knowledgeof Cisco IOS. I guess I could use a DHCP Server discovery program to find out.

Jamie

tvanderwerken
Level 1
Level 1

Was it pinging the firewall or was it pinging a broadcaxt address, maybe looking for a bootp server?

Just a thought

I guess it could have been a broadcast address. The firewall logs didn't say it was a broadcast address, but then again I wasn't looking at the raw logs. I was just looking at the "simplified" logs within the control interface. I'll try turning on the syslog option next time I reboot the machine and look at those logs.

Thanks,

Jamie