Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing issues and external firewalls

aearley
Level 1
Level 1

Hey all,

I have been administering a new network for the past half-year, and been trying to figure out a problem. Here's the background:

I have a three building WAN, linked by frames, with a firewall @ the POP. The firewall is an all-in-one Linux unit with a web front end, TeamInternet is what it's called.

I have all the routers configured so that the WAN is in 'good' working order (I can see everything inside the three school WAN) however I can only get ICMP or other telnet/ftp based services through to the outside world from the POP building. Everything from the two other buildings just gets reported as unreachable if it is outside the firewall. I have called the firewall company, and they say it's not them. I have gone over the routers, and they seem fine.

Any ideas? Help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

--Andy

2 Replies 2

0sgruttadauria
Level 1
Level 1

Sounds like:

firewall does not have routes to the remote (non-POP) networks

or

firewall has rule only allowing outbound from the POP network

or

firewall is only nat'ing source addresses from the POP network

Good luck

I agreed with Osgruttadauria suggestions. I already encountered this same problems where Linux is acting as firewall, proxy, router, & etc.. When I isolated the problems and redirected the internet access to a PIX firewall (which I knew better than Linux) everything starts to works beautiful.

I think you need to harrash your Linux engineer or maybe it time to replace them.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card