Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Segmenting networks, need applications to talk

I just segmented a network. So, now I have two ethernet segments. I can ping back and forth between the segments. Now, how do I get the Applications talking on the different segments? Some need to access printers and applications on the original segment. They are all Microsoft PCs: win 98 and XP. Do I have to configure the router to forward NetBios or other higher layer protocols? I have tried mapping a drive to a computer on the other segment, but get prompted for a password (that didn't happen on the original, flat network). But, it doesn't take any password I use. Any ideas or sample configs? I have a 2610 with a NM-4E and plan to make another segment as well. Thanks.

3 Replies 3

smif101
Level 4
Level 4

Your going to need a WINS server on the network, input these on the workstations, DHCP is the easiest. Then the requests will be routed properly. You can also enter the command ip helper-address to solve your netbios problems. Here is a link that should help you.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/tech/tk870/tk877/tk880/technologies_tech_note09186a00801aa01f.shtml

Thanks for the doc.

I already have DHCP set up on the router, one pool for each segment. So, I don't need DHCP relay.

Do I have to put a WINS server on each segment?

What IP address do I use in the ip helper-address command?

What about the ip forward-protocol command? How is that used?

Are there any sample configs? Thanks.

HI,

you could put dhcp and wins on one segment and have different scope for each segment. this way you will have one server assigning addressess to all the segments. and the segments without the dhcp server will need an ip helper-address command on the ethernet interface that will be address of the dhcp and wins server.

HTH

Kaiser