cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting static route: Linksys WRT54G - Cisco 2514

jasondubya
Level 1
Level 1

I have a single cable internet connection through Comcast which I have split with a switch so I could have 1 IP and my roommate could have one. The purpose is that we both need access to the same ports.

I have a Cisco 2514 setup on the 192.168.1.0/24 network. My roommate has a Linksys WRT54G setup on the 192.168.2.0/24 network. While we each need our own networks, we would like to have access to the other network internally. To do this, we have added a standard ethernet cable between the two internal networks.

I have added a static route to my configuration as shown below:

router rip

version 2

network 192.168.2.0

At this point, the trouble that we are having is getting the static route setup on the Linksys. Can anyone offer some advice on setting this up?

Thanks,

Jason

9 Replies 9

bauti1428
Level 1
Level 1

Do you have a static ip from comcast? I tried that once and it didn't work. But I know with DSL if you put a switch or a hub and connect to 2 routers in the hub or a switch, you be able to get an ip address for both. I tried it before and it worked but with comcast it won't give you 2 ip addresses.

Comcast doesn't provide static IPs... not even for businesses. The modem is connected to a switch which is connected to both of the routers.

Comcast in my area offers static IP. As what I said before comcast won't let you have 2 IP's. But with DSL since you still log in to get an IP address (PPPoE), 2 routers can connect and log in with the same account and have the 2 routers have different IP addresses.

DSl Modem -> Switch -> 2 routers .... It use to work with Verizon, I'm not sure if you can do this now...

frennzy
Level 1
Level 1

I think you're making this too hard.

First, can you explain what you mean by 'need access to the same ports'? You already have outbound 'access' to all ports. If you are referring to each of wanting to run a server on the same port, then okay.

Second, why even bother with the linksys? If you have two static IPs, just put them both on the external interface of the Cisco, and do static NAT for any inbound services you need to provide.

This will put your and his machines on the same network, and eliminate the need to setup any sort of 'backlan'.

When you connected your inside port to his inside port, but put them on different subnets, you created a broadcast domain, but are effectively telling your machines that the other PCs as destinations live outside the Cisco and the Linksys.

You *could* just setup your machines and his machines on the same subnet, but (using static IPs), manually assign your machines to your gateway (cisco inside interface), and his machines to his gateway (linksys inside interface)...but again, this is basically redundant. Setup the Cisco properly, dispose of the linksys, and use a single subnet scope.

Unfortunately, we do not have 2 static IPs. We are given 2 DHCP IP addresses, which is where the need for 2 routers comes in. Is it possible to get 2 DHCP IPs through the Cisco? If so, we'll go that way.

I have never tried it, and I don't think it will work (because you'll have the same MAC address), but you could try setting up the Cisco with the same DHCP config, but follow it with the keyword 'secondary'. This would go right after your main entry for it to pickup DHCP. (I doubt this will work, though.)

Again...what is the requirment for two IPs? I still think you can do everything you need to be able to do with just one. You said you need 'access to the same ports'...

what do you mean? Outbound? Inbound? Which ones? If you are hosting similar/same services on each of your machines, what are they? Have you evaluated *why* you each want to offer the same service? Can these services be changed to use a different inbound port? (I'd bet they can...especially if they are games)

It doesn't look like I can get 2 DHCP IPs off one interface. The config won't allow it.

As for the need, we both run a server and have incoming traffic on ports 21, 22, 25, 80, 110 & 143 along with a few other ports that differ between us. Because of the way that they are accessed, we don't want to have different inbound ports.

However, I have found a bit more information that I am trying. At this point, I understand that what I had was not a static route. So, what I have done ise setup the e1 interface with a secondary IP. I then added the network to ospf and granted it access to the network. Below is the example of my changes.

---

interface Ethernet1

description LAN

ip address 192.168.2.2 255.255.255.0 secondary

ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

ip nat inside

no cdp enable

router ospf 1

log-adjacency-changes

network 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.255 area 0

network 192.168.2.0 0.0.0.255 area 1

default-information originate

access-list 100 permit ip 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.255 any

access-list 100 permit ip 192.168.2.0 0.0.0.255 any

---

At this point, the only thing I need is to figure out static routing through a Linksys. I know it's possible. It will just take a little time.

What you are trying to do is not going to work the way you think it is...and is completely unnecessary.

Again...just change your internal IPs to be in the same subnet. Manually manage your IPs. Set your machines to use your cisco as the default gateway, and set his machines to use his linksys.

Why would you want to eat up cycles on your router, when all you need to do is be ARPing for each other's machine in the same broadcast domain?

If you *must* use the router and different subnets, ignore OSPF, RIP, or any other dynamic routing protocol. Just do a 'ip routing', and add the secondary address as you have in your above config.

The problem with this is that I am fairly certain most linksys SOHO routers don't support assigning routes to the 'inside' interface....which is where it would need to go. You can circumvent this by adding static routes to each host in his subnet, pointing to your Cisco.

Again, you are making this too difficult...and you aren't using the right equipment, really.

Thank you. I'm not sure why this didn't hit me until now, but it finally has. After setting up both routers on the 192.168.2.0/24 network with his as 192.168.2.1 and mine as 192.168.2.2, things are working properly. I keep my systesm rolling through .2 everything works as it should.

Thanks again.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card