Views
Helpful
Replies

SONET Question

kevin.hu
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

My central office has 20 T3s and is still growing. Instead of buying additional hardwares to support these additional T3s. Local LEC offers us to join their SONET ring. Therefore instead of getting all these additional wires and equipment for T3s, I just need one fiber running to my 6500.

Question,

1. What card I need to buy? I saw Cisco offers Two-Port OC-48c POS/One-Port OC-48c DPT Optical Services Module that I can put in my 6500. Is it the right card to buy?

2. If that is the right card, how do I multiplex all these T3 circuits in one OC-48 link? Do I configure something like a frame-relay PVCs? Do you have any config how I can do that?

Thanks.

2 Replies 2

geoff.belknap
Level 1
Level 1

Kevin,

A good start would be here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/modules/ps2831/prod_module_series_home.html

But, the best solution for you depends on your application. Are these Multi-channel T3/DS3s? Are they used for Voice termination, Point-to-Point data, Internet Connectivity, MAN / WAN Aggregation? A mix?

As far as your second question: You'd need to work with your service provier to re-provision your circuits onto an OC-12c or OC-48c loop, depending on the card your decide to use.

Your best bet is to contact your local Cisco Rep and System Engineer who specializes in the OSM product line. They'd be happy to sink thier teeth into you... I mean... help you identify the correct part.

-Geoff

Thanks for the info. I already work with my cisco rep. FYI. For my application, I need channelized OC-48c card to DS-0 lvl. However, Cisco doesn't have that card yet.