cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SSH on a 4948

mx
Level 1
Level 1

Hi. I cant seem to get ssh configured on a 4948 switch at all. Am I missing something? The docs says it supports it but I dont even have transport ssh as an option, nor can I generate a key.

thanks for any tips!

bob

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

gpulos
Level 8
Level 8

you need IOS version 12.3(7)JA and up for SSH v2 server & client. (which contains SSH v1 as well)

you could either have an incorrect IOS or a buggy one. upgrade if you can to a later IOS.

if the IOS is simply incorrect, please use the feature navigator to find the features your 4948 supports with which IOS version:

http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/index.jsp

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

gpulos
Level 8
Level 8

you need IOS version 12.3(7)JA and up for SSH v2 server & client. (which contains SSH v1 as well)

you could either have an incorrect IOS or a buggy one. upgrade if you can to a later IOS.

if the IOS is simply incorrect, please use the feature navigator to find the features your 4948 supports with which IOS version:

http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/index.jsp

AHA! Mystery solved, thank you. Yes, I have 12.2.x on it right now. I will upgrade.

thank you much!

bob

I think you will find that there isn't currently a 12.3x release for the Catalyst 4948......... The latest release for these switches is 12.2(31)SG.

What you actually need is the Crypto image. There are actually 4 versions (feature sets) of the 4948 IOS images - IP Base without Crypto, IP Base SSH, Enterprise Services without SSH and Enterprise Services SSH. The packaging names have changed a bit (Enhanced L3, Basic L3 etc) but there have been 4 feature sets for this platform (Catalyst 4500 series) for a while.

You need CCO Crypto privileges to download the Crypto images I think.

HTH

Andy

I'm running into a similar issue. I am unable to generate rsa keys on a WS-C4948 1GE with k9 15.0.2-SG11 crypto IOS running on it.

The only command I'm able to do is the following:

Switch#crypto key ?
lock Lock a keypair.
unlock Unlock a keypair.

Version info:

Cisco IOS Software, Catalyst 4500 L3 Switch Software (cat4500-ENTSERVICESK9-M), Version 15.0(2)SG11, 

ROM: 12.2(31r)SGA7
System image file is "bootflash:cat4500-entservicesk9-mz.150-2.SG11.bin"
Last reload reason: Reload command

cisco WS-C4948 (MPC8245) processor (revision 0) with 262144K bytes of memory.
MPC8245 CPU at 266Mhz, Fixed Module
1 Virtual Ethernet interface
48 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces
Configuration register is 0x2102

Config info: (some lines omitted)

version 15.0
!
hostname Switch
!
boot-start-marker
boot system flash bootflash:cat4500-entservicesk9-mz.150-2.SG11.bin
boot-end-marker