Views
Helpful
Replies

Static route tables in VLANs

rjeppesen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Is it possible to group static routes so that I can define that these static routes belongs to VLAN A, these to VLAN B and so on.

HW: Cisco2610XM, IOS 12.3(6) or what it needs.

regards

Robert

3 Replies 3

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You mean to define static routes so that they would be used only for a specific vlan. You can configure the vlan to be the next hop for a specific route (along with the next hop ip address) but the routes would still be installed in the RIB and used by all traffic arriving on all other vlans. If you really want to separate vlans from one another, you might want to look at VRF lite, which will create a separate routing table for each vlan if you want. Is it what you are looking at doing?

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

I have many small networks with hosts where I can't add routes but only have a default gateway. All networks placed in a non Cisco VLAN switch. Instead of having many physical "routers" acting as default gateway telling how to come to the destination, I saw this as a cheap solution. Only one router with many VLANs, one into each small network.

But as you write VRF lite might be the answer.

I haven't worked with VRF before, is there any papers or tech-notes you could recommand?

/robert

If I am understanding your question, you should be able to use an 802.1q trunk comming from the non-cisco switches and assign sub-interfaces on the the singe physical router interface. Each VLAN would have its own subnet and gateway. If this is what you are looking for, I can post more info.