cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Subnet slip and subinterfaces

Bernard Magny
Level 1
Level 1

I recently split my network in 5 separate subnet suing a 4000 switch and a 3725 router. I created sub interfaces on the router used dot1q and assigned ip address of the VLAN configured on the switch.

Everything seems fine to start with, but I have some application that requires fast connections and use small packets.

When all the routers and all the servers and client were on the same subnet, everything was fine, now, the client keeps dropping connection with a specific application. I'm not sure where to or how to look for the problem. I may go back to one flat subnet.

Any hints or direction to where to look with that with help a lot.

Thanks

1 Reply 1

smif101
Level 4
Level 4

Have you tried an extended ping to the server that is in question from each subnet and found any dropped packets? Are all subnets experenicing this problem? Do you think that it might actually just be the server in question, try rebooting it. How many users are in this network, if less than a hundred users I would stay with a flat network unless you have reason to believe there is to much congestion on the network? Can you provide the configs of the switch and router.

Jason Smith

www.smif101.com