cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switching Frame Relay Providers

bubarooni
Level 1
Level 1

I am getting ready to switch Frame Relay providers. I have three sites, each with a CISCO 1750 router. The Head End also has a PIX 506. Each router has a WIC 1DSU T1 interface card installed in SLOT0.

Currently, the circuit speed at the head end is 128k and each remote location has a 64k circuit. When I change over the Head End will stay the same but the two remote sites will go to 56k. My Service Provider swears this is not a switched 56k circuit but a dedicated 56k circuit.

My questions are:

1. Do I need to get the WIC 1DSU 56k4 interface card for the two remote loacations.

2. If I do need the card, can I just drop them in SLOT1.

3. I do have to change the DLCI's on the remote routers as well but that's not really a problem. I do wonder about the service module timeslots however. They currently read:

service-module t1 timeslots 1-2

A very knowledgable individual told me they will need to be changed to:

service-module t1 timeslots 1-2 speed 56

Thanks in Advance

Kelly

4 Replies 4

jmujica
Level 1
Level 1

Kelly,

I believe that service-module t1 timeslots 1-2 is configured on the HUB router (Head End) ... on the remote it may say.. service-module t1 timeslots x.. on that command you can add the speed 56 and you will try to establish a connection at 56k.. I think you can use the same wic-cards.. As long as you match the speed.. You will be up and running..

Does that mean I only need to reconfigure the timeslots on the Head End then?

Actually, you need to find out from the new service provider if the dedicated 56k lines are actually DDS lines, or simply a 56k channel on a T1 circuit.

If they are 56k DDS lines then you do need the other WIC type. A WIC-1DSU-T1 will not work with a 56k DDS circuit.

But, a 56k channel on a T1 will work then? There seems to be much confusion about this when I talk to my service provider and I really need to nail them down on this pronto.