Views
Helpful
Replies

%SYS-4-SUPERVISOR_ERR:Forwarding engine

brrobbins
Level 1
Level 1

%SYS-4-SUPERVISOR_ERR:Forwarding engine IP length error coutner=xxx

I noticed there has already been a question posted concerning this error. However, there is no detail in the system message guide referenced in the answer that gives any hint about how to go about finding the problem devices. It just says to use a Sniffer. I have the following questions:

Will SPAN copy the packet being dropped?

Is the packet less than a minimum sized packet or is this an issue with the IP header+payload being less than the IP length within the IP header?

I'm trying to figure out what I'm actually looking for and what aid the switch can give (i.e., SPAN) in finding the problem.

1 Reply 1

pflunkert
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

the problem description show this:

xplanation This message indicates that the supervisor engine's error counters have incremented. The first [chars] is the counter name and the second [chars] is the counter value ( the 64-bit counters are converted to string format before being printed).

Recommended Action Contact your technical support representative

When i read this, it's a good idea to open a tac service request.

When the destination span port is a port on the same module, th supervisor engine should not dropp the packets. But i'am not sure. Perhaps you should try thebug navigator, but in the moment i would type to a hardware error.

Regards

Peter

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card