Views
Helpful
Replies

Teamed NICS and Port Configuration?

robertg41
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a 2900xl that I've recently added 3 servers to. These are new Dell 2850's with Intel Pro100/MT nic's installed. I configured the nic's into a team with "fault-tolerance".

My other servers are older 1550's teamed using "FEC/802.3AD Static LA Mode" - I'm being told that the newer servers are running slower because they are not configured to support 802.3AD.

Is there a special configuration that needs to be done on the switch to maximize this teaming? I thought, as the 2900 is a fixed-configuration switch, I wouldn't need to do much configuring?

Thanks for any help and suggestions!

- Rob

2 Replies 2

David Graham
Level 1
Level 1

Are you forcing the speed on the Intel nics to 100/Full? I had problems with some Intel nics talking to my 2900 in auto mode. I forced the speed and duplex and after that had no issue with speed in either single systems or teamed systems. It was a weird issue since it was not always doing it.

Hope this helps

Dave

Hello Rob,

in additon to what Dave said, I checked the Intel website and could not find any information on 802.3AD not being supported on the Intel NICs. How do you have your channel configured ?

Can you post the relevant channle config ?

Have a look at this document from Intel's website:

Networking and Communications

IEEE 802.3AD Dynamic and Static Switch Implementations use Different Team Modes

http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/cs-020140.htm

Regards,

GP

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card