cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TFTPDNLD vs DNLD

holiveros
Level 1
Level 1

Can anyone guide me on how to use the dnld command in rommon mode..? I really suspect that my recently acquired flash memory simms are damaged, because after doing a xmodem download (after 40 long minutes at 115200 bps), the systems shows:

Erasing flash at 0x30000000sector erase failed at location 0x30000000, status 0x20202020

flash sector will NOT erase...aborting

rommon 5 >

rommon 5 > dir flash:

device does not contain a valid magic number

dir: cannot open device "flash:"

This bootstrap version 12.0(6r)T apparently does not support the tftpdnld command, which some have told me is an optional way of downloading an IOS to a new flash simm. Does dnld provide a similar function,,?...Please help...gtngs

2 Replies 2

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Have you checked to see if you have enough memory to store the image ? Like if you have a 2600 with 16 MB of flash and the image shows up as 16 Meg in size when you download it from CCO, the image will actually be around 16.3 Meg in size. Due to this reason, xmodem fails because it cannot write the file into flash..

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Sure, the flash memory size is 64 Mb, and the RAM is also 64 Mb (parity disabled, I do not know if this has something to do). The size of the image is 13 Mb, so I don't think this is the problem..any more hints..?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card