Views
Helpful
Replies

The "smallest" WAN

brucedavis
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys and gals,

I'm trying to figure out how I can connect my 2514 serial port to an external 56K modem. I've found a few cables, which convert DB60/DB25. If I'm not mistaken, the DB25 will be the DCE and the DB60 will be the DTE. Herein lies the question, can I use a DB25/DB9 configuration to get the RS232 small enough for a USR 56K modem and it work? Disregarding the IOS commands, I can figure those out, but will the hardware work, providing I setup the config right? Can someone please suggest a modem, maybe that has a DB25 or suggest the right cable in order to make the adaption? I do already have a DCE/DTE cable if there is a plug-on adapter that would do it.

Here are the cables that I have found closest to what I need, I think...

CAB-232FC= part#72-0794-01 - FEM DCE RS-232 CAB 10 FT

or

EIA-530 serial cable

I'm not in a position right now, to just give it a try, without some solid feedback that it will work. Otherwise I would just order stuff to try anything.

Thanks a lot,

Bruce Davis, CCNA since 2003

6 Replies 6

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Hello Bruce,

There is a particular cable available from cisco, which has a db-60 and one end, and the db25 (rs232) at the other end. This should work.

I guess you will have to use a sync/async serial port to use the modem.

On the sync/async interface, by default is sync in nature. To make it async interface, use, "physical-layer async" command in interface mode.

Hope that helps!

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Thanks Shanky,

I think this is the right cable;

CAB-232FC= part#72-0794-01 - FEM DCE RS-232 CAB 10 FT

meaning DCE on the rs-232 side. I'll let you know how it works out.

I don't believe this will work for you. I would connect the modem to the router AUX port instead. You can connect the modem with a console cable and a db25 converter for modem connections (sorry I don't have part #'s for you). The cable you describe is for connecting the serial interface to a CSU/DSU with the RS-232 interface (Larse & Paradyne CSU's use this connection).

I may be wrong but I have never heard of this being done successfully.

JK

jredwine2857
Level 1
Level 1

This is the correct part number for using a smart serial with an ext. modem: 72-0793-01

Jason Redwine, CCNA, MCSE, CCA

That's really funny this got brought up again, because after I bought the previous cable I mentioned, 72-0794-01, which I chose it by the decription, which stated "RS232 DCE" and I thought it meant the RS232 side WAS the DCE. I was wrong. My show command stated a DCE cable connection so I went back and ordered the other one, 72-0793-01. It should arrive by Friday so I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks for the feedback everybody.

Hey guys and gals,

I hooked up my new cable and the modem has recognized the connection by turning on more lights though I didn't have a lot of time this weekend to play with it. I decided to configure it using "Easy IP" config for my serial interface. I'll be in touch I'm sure. I have sent a tech inquiry to Creative Modem Blaster support for the modem AT command settings which are available.

http://www.americas.creative.com/support/specs/hardware.asp?Centric=79⊂=41&SearchSite=

I'm waiting for them, before I continue. Thanks for your help.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card