Views
Helpful
Replies

Token Ring MAC redundancy

elbano_f
Level 1
Level 1

Good Afternoon,

I would like to know if anyone knows a process to configure a virtual-mac address in a token ring environment.

I can't use HRSP for Token Ring becouse the mac address i am trying to deploy isn't a functional one.

6 Replies 6

amikat
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

I am not quite sure if I understand your question.

Functional virtual mac address (for HSRP) is not to be configured in any apecific way: it is assigned AUTOMATICALLY as soon as you configure "standby ip " under a TokenRing interface. The only point could be there are just few available for TR environment. So in case you need more HSRP groups there are further tips as how to succeed (like "standby use-bia").

I hope this can help.

Best regards,

Antonin

Hi,

Thanks for your answer.

The senario i am trying to build requests the use of the mac-address 4000.3745.2000.

I have two routers in the same ring. For redundancy reasons, i need to deeploy a solution to automaticaly comutate the MAC address from one router to the other in the case of a router failure.

The problem with the bia command is that when I have a comutation from the active to the standby router, I can't mantain the virtual MAC ( the 4000.3745.2000 physical mac of the other router).

Hi,

I have succeeded with the following sequence:

int to 0

mac- 4000.3745.2000

standby 195.1.1.1 use-bia

as you can see the output from my router:

TokenRing0 - Group 0

Local state is Init, priority 100, use bia

Hellotime 0 holdtime 0

Hot standby IP address is 195.1.1.1 configured

Active router is unknown expired

Standby router is unknown expired

Standby virtual mac address is 4000.3745.2000

I hope that is what you ask for.

Good luck!

Best regards,

Antonin

Hi,

Further to my previous post:

I have just noticed I put two commands into one by my mistake. The proper sequence should read:

int to 0

mac- 4000.3745.2000

standby ip 195.1.1.1

standby use-bia

Best regards,

Antonin

Thanks again for your answer.

I Have the following config in router 1 :

int to 0

mac- 4000.3745.2000

standby ip 1.1.1.1

standby priority 90

standby preempt

standby use-bia

Router 2:

int to 0

standby ip 1.1.1.1

standby preempt

The problem here is that when I hava a failure in router 1, the HSRP in router 2 will display something like this :

TokenRing0- Group 1

Virtual IP address is 1.1.1.1

Active virtual MAC address is c000.0001.0000

Local virtual MAC address is c000.0001.0000

Active router is local

As you can see, the backup router doesn't display the desired MAC address. And I can't configure the desired MAC address in the token ring of the second router becouse i can't have a duplicate mac in the ring.

Hi,

I understand the point.

I am afraid you MAY ask for more the HSRP for TR can provide. My idea was that since your 4000.3745.2000 address is group one (not individual) that perhaps a ring can survive.

I regret I cannot provide further advice.

Best regards,

Antonin

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card