Views
Helpful
Replies

tool for monitoring traffic on LAN

jimmyjoseph
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have citrix server farm situated in my VLAN 1 and my backends servers on VLAN 2. I need to generate some reports on the traffic pattern between the Citrix servers and the backend servers. The reports should have details of bandwidth utilization, protocol distribution and such details. I used sniffer pro for generating similar reports but it captures all the data packets and generates reports based on these data. I'm not interested in the user data as the header inforation itself should be enough to generate the reports which i'm looking for. Using sniffer the data captured is saturating my laptop harddisk. When i ran it for 10 minutes it generated 24 MB of data and it look lots of time to opene the file. I need to observe the traffic pattern for a day or so and for this i cannot use sniffer as it sniffs each ackets and stores the packet.

Is there any other tool which would just sniff the packet headers and generate reports rather than analyzing the entire payload.

regards,

jimmy

6 Replies 6

rmushtaq
Level 8
Level 8

nGeniusRTM

Hi,

Thank for the information. Can i get this tool for evaluation or does it come only as a full version or as a part of cisco works?

regards,

jimmy.

Hi,

AFAIK, it's only available as CiscoWorks part.

BUT if you ask your local Cisco representatives, they should provide you CiscoWorks evaluation (90 days) copy.

Regards,

Milan

I have a network containing some 15 cisco devices. Is it worth investing in a Cisco works licence ? Is there any other cisco product which would provide similar functions but at the same time which is free or would come at a lesser cost ?

regards,

jimmy

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

If you don't need deep protocol analysis Kerio Network Monitor 2 (http://www.kerio.com) might be a sufficient cheap program for you.

Regards,

Milan

When you are doing the captures, are you only capturing the first few bytes of the frame? If you only want the headers, you can set the capture filter to only collect the first so many bytes of the packet. Go the capture filter, click on the buffer field and adjust the packet size.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card