cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to ping another machine on the same VLAN!

ktoh
Level 1
Level 1

In my network, there are serveral VLAN's, of which, VLAN2 is quite a big segment (255.255.248.0). Recently, after a complete power shutdown of the building in my office. Some users on VLAN 2 is having diffculties reaching another machine (e.g PC1) under the same VLAN. Likewise, PC1 is not reachable from other VLAN's.

The users in VLAN2 connects to the same switch will not have problem reaching PC1. We are not able to ping PC1 on the switch where it is connected (Switch Mgmt VLAN is VLAN 1).

if we tried to ping to PC1 from the other switches that is under VLAN 2, they are not "pingable".

There is no problem with the default gateway/Subnet Masks setting on PC1, the switces etc.

The root bridge is Cat6 switch.

Any clue? Thanks!

2 Replies 2

nihal.akbulut
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I couldn't understand clearly. can you tell the anwwers to questions?

1)Can PC1 speak with all the other machines on same vlan (VLAN2)?

2)can PC1 reach the default gateway?

3) can PC1 reach the machines that are on a different vlan?

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

What kind of boxes are the pc's that are having the problem attached to ? If they are the 4000 series there is known problems with certain levels of code that pc's in the same vlan cannot talk to each other , this is a code problem and can be fixed with upgraded code if not then not sure what it might be . Are you able to do l2traces to see how the traffic is flowing ?

Can you ping the default gateways from the pcs that are not working ? Do you try a disable and enable on the PC1 port ?