cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

usage of the MOTD

ekwokonline
Level 1
Level 1

except the welcome message of a router, any other usage of the MOTD?

is it complusory in come countries?

will it be harmful if I don't use the MOTD and mount the router on internet?

4 Replies 4

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

Basically it can be used as a welcome message as its used in the servers for internal users and mostly to warn the outsiders to keep away from the equipment.

Its not compulsory in all countries or like that still no harm if u dont use the same and keep the router in internet but do remember to have non-guessable passwords.

Security point of view u can say its the first thing to secure your device.

regds

prem

thanks for you reply.

there is a question comes up in my mind. what if I don't put the warning message into router MOTD and someone really hack into my network, can I accuse the one who get into my network?

or the one who hack into my network can have an excuse that there is no warning to say that the network can't be in.

rpgccie
Level 1
Level 1

When it goes to a legal framework

You can always claim that you had a MOTD set up saying:

" Unauthorised people not permitted will be prosecuted"

and that he trespassed so your gets stronger ;)

just a wee wee... ;)

If you don't include a warning message, in some locations you'll have no legal recourse.

A login banner, which includes a legal notice, should be set up on each operational device and include statements that make it clear that:

- Anyone trying to gain entry has to be authorised to do so

- Legal action will be taken against anyone not authorised who tries to gain access

- Anyone logging in to the device agrees that their actions may be monitored

Specific information i.e., device name, location, OS version, or indeed anything that allows an intruder to map the network in any way should not be included in the banner message.

The best thing is to consult your organisation’s legal staff for suitable language to use in the legal notice.