cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VIP question

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Is it possible to just reload a VIP card without reloading the entire 7500 router . When you if-con into the VIP there is a reload command but I don't know if this will just reload the VIP or the entire router . Anyone know ? The reason for the question we are having a problem on hssi link on a vip and in the loggs we are seeing the following error CLIENT_CLOCK_SYNC-3-PORTOPEN: cannot open port Server: Clock Sync due to port is busy which the error message decoder says is a software type error , would like to just reload the VIP because this is a core router .

5 Replies 5

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

I think enabling this service, enables single slot reloading on each line card.

service single-slot-reload-enable.

Check also MDR feature.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5207/products_feature_guide09186a00802120e5.html

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

After reading this it appears that you have to be in global conf mode to do this , seems a little strange to have to be config mode to do a reload .

Hmm, MDR is not a requirement. Its a 12.3T feature. It will just help a fast reload. (5 sec, versus 30 sec).

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

raguzzi
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, is possible. You have to enter in "Configuration Terminal" and set this option

service single-slot-reload-enable

(probably in your 'running config' you have "no" before the option below)

I already tried and it works!

Bye

I can't seem to get this work even though I have single slot reload enable . We are running 12.2.15 T9 so maybe that's the problem as according to the doc this came out in 12.3.8T .

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card