cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN with 1700 router and Linksys switch

tato386
Level 6
Level 6

I am trying to use a 1700 router to route between to IP subnets on two different VLANs setup on a Linksys switch. I do not have access to the switch so I am working with another tech that handles the switch. I setup two subinterfaces on the FE port of the router. Int Fa0.1 uses IP 1.1.1.1 and VLAN 1 native using 802.1q. Int Fa0.2 uses IP 2.2.2.2 and VLAN 2. I asked the switch tech to setup his switch accordingly. My problem right now is that the router will only ping IPs on the native VLAN. Meaning if I make Fa0.1 VLAN 1 native I can ping devices on 1.1.1.0/24 and if I make Fa0.2 VLAN 2 native then I can ping on 2.2.2.0/24. When I passed this along to the tech he explains something about setting up his ports for tagged or untagged but I don't know who this would apply to the router but he doesn't have a solution either. Is there anythin I can do on the router side to fix this?

Thanks,

Diego

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

zakymar77
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

I've tried connecting cisco to non cisco devices.Tagged ports simply means allowing different vlan to pass to that port and Untagged is passing only the native vlan.For your case since you want that two VLAN will communicate,port should be tagged.Tagged is simply trunking in terms to cisco.So that the 802.1q frames will pass that port.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

a.hajhamad
Level 4
Level 4

Dear Diego,

The twp links must be trunks, it seems that these links are not trunks since the native VLAN can pass ath these links.

Anyway, you need the check the following:

- The two links are trunks with 802.1q encapsulation.

- The two subinterfaces are encapsulated with 802.1Q

Thanks

Abd Alqader

minumathur
Level 1
Level 1

Check following things

1) Check Vlan membere , all are as per require

2) check encapulation on both side

3) check routing entry for both the vlan

4) Make sure trunk uplink are there?

I beliave tagged is vlan identifaction and untagged mean without vlan identification.

-minu

zakymar77
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

I've tried connecting cisco to non cisco devices.Tagged ports simply means allowing different vlan to pass to that port and Untagged is passing only the native vlan.For your case since you want that two VLAN will communicate,port should be tagged.Tagged is simply trunking in terms to cisco.So that the 802.1q frames will pass that port.