cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN with Novell

stuartj
Level 1
Level 1

I segmented a piece of my network off into a vlan from the rest of the VLAN1 (currently its all flat). The Client gets an IP address from the Novell DHCP server, but the client cannot see the tree or log in.

I have IP helpers on my newly created vlan for the server that holds the root (also a master replica), the server I log into, and our PXE server. IP services seem to work great since when I log in I get IP information, and can ping everywhere in my network once Im on the workstation.

Any suggestions as to what Im missing?

4 Replies 4

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What switches are these and what software are they running? On client ports, make sure you have Switchport host or portfast enabled

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/12.html

kmjohnsonkj
Level 1
Level 1

Sounds like you need Service Location Protocol (SLP) enabled at a server, most probably your root server. This is what offers the IP-based services that Netware has, including advertising the tree in a manner that is far less chatty than IPX.

This is not to be confused with what you refered to as "IP services" - SLP is not your ability to send and receive IP-based packets. That just comes from a TCP stack and having a proper IP address.

Check out SLP on the Novell web site.

bbaillie
Level 1
Level 1

The Novell DHCP server can give the options 78 for the directory agent and 79 for the scope name to this new subnet. If you haven't done it yet, configure at least two servers as directory agents and decide on a scope name to be used. follow the guidelines in the following Novell TID 10062474. In the VLAN1 space the clients may be locating the directory and service agents via multicast. Confirm the multicast function from a workstation with the command "slpinfo /all". A quick workaround is to enable multicast routing between the VLAN1 subnet and the new subnet until a proper SLP implementation is accomplished.

Well a couple problems. When I was using the novell DHCP server it worked fine. Made the switch do it and it would not work. I added those options but couldnt get it to work. Second problem was BOOTP requests were not being seeing. I think this was because of the 3750 handing the DHCP. When I removed the DHCP off the switch, configured my novell box for DHCP for the new vlan, then it all worked magically.

The SLP information was added in those options, but on a sniffer trace I was seeing ICMP unreachables at login. However, a PING showed that it could find the DA once you were logged in.

Weird... but it works good now.

Thanks for all the posts!