cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vlan1 up, protocol down: why?

aderooy
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 switches connected together. A 6500 and a 2916-xl. The connetions passes cdp nei but I can't get an IP connection. The ports on both ends show up and up (actually, connected on the 6509 end). The 2916 end is using port fa0/16 which is on vlan1 in vtp mode transparent and with no vtp domain name that I can find. (BTW: what's the command to see what vtp domain the switch is in on a 2916-xl?) So, I don't thing vtp is an issue. The ports are connected but won't pass IP.

4 Replies 4

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You probably have to go into the vlan database to see that . conf t , vlan-database . you should also be able to see the state of vlan 1 while you are in there . While you are in there , try entering vlan 1 state active and see what happens . Is the port on the 6500 in vlan 1 also ?

it's vlan 100 on the 6509. I have the vlan1 interface on the 2900 set to a vlan100 address. The 2900 is in transparent mode and no vtp domain name; at least I didn't enter one. I know the vlans don't have to match unless the 2 switches are in the same vtp domain; since they aren't, as long as I have the address in the right vlan (vlan 100, in this case), it sould work.

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can use "sh vtp status" the XL switch. On an XL/2950 switch only one L3 Vlan interface can be up/up at any given time(note that this interface is used for management purposes such as ping/telnet only). Check to see if there are any other VLAN interfaces up/up on the XL and if they are shut them down and the VLAN 1 should come up fine

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/8.html#topic4

you were right. I have all but one port on vlan2 for my devices. I have the other port on vlan1. I used switchport access vlan 2 on all but one port. I used int vlan 2 to create vlan 2. If I bring down vlan2, vlan1 will come up and work fine. What I don't know is if/when I did shut down vlan2, do the devices on vlan 2 still talk. If they will, all I have to do is shut int vlan 2, rigtht?