cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VRRP between 2600 and 3005 Concentrator

tvarriale
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone tried to set this up? I would like to use the concentrator as a back to a frame router in a production environment. If this works, any gotchas? Is MD5 password hashing implemented yet.

Thanks!

3 Replies 3

bratager
Level 1
Level 1

We currently have a similar setup, except our's is between a 2620 and a Nokia IP120 VPN Concentrator. Our primary connection is frame-relay off the 2620 and we use VRRP tracking to failover to the VPN connection dynamically if the frame connection is lost. Below are the relevant configs from the 2620 (authentication is used but not sure if it is MD5 offhand).

track 1 interface Serial0/0 line-protocol

interface FastEthernet0/0

ip address 1.1.1.2 255.255.255.0

vrrp 1 ip 1.1.1.1

vrrp 1 priority 120

vrrp 1 authentication text xxxxxxx

vrrp 1 track 1 decrement 30

Have you fully tested the failover? What kind of failover times were you seeing? How about failback?

Thanks!

We tested with no issues by shutting down both the LAN interface on the router where VRRP is running, shutting down the serial interface that is being tracked, and by powering off the router. We are tracking the line protocol in VRRP, but there are a number of other options you can track as well. Both failover and fallback were extermely quick (didn't benchmark it, but seemed about the same as we see with HSRP on our router network that is setup pretty similar.

The link below gives the options for tracking, also I'm not sure of the exact release but I don't think VRRP is supported on the routers until 12.3 code.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5207/products_feature_guide09186a00801a7f78.html