Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP clients not listening to VTP server after upgrade

TalonKarrde
Level 1
Level 1

Howdy,

we had a pair of 4000 series chassis switches with sup 2 in them on a basic L2 network with a bunch of vlans and a router to route between vlans.

One of the 4000 chassis had its sup 2 upgraded to a sup 3, the configuration of the sup 2 (CatOS) was then brough across to an IOS configuration. This seemed to work fine.

At the same time, L3 routing was implemented on the sup 3 so that intervlan routing would happen in the switch, rather then having to go to a slow router.

This also went fine.

VTP was in operation on both 4000 chassis, and both were configured as VTP servers. This information was also brought across to the new IOS sup 3 and appeared to be functioning correctly.

However we have now found that although the sup 3 is configured as a VTP server (v. 2) and all the rest of it, vlans created on the sup 3 cat 4000 do not propogate to other switches, whereas previously they would.

Does anyone have any suggestion as to why this might happen?

Cheers.

17 Replies 17

Hi,

paste sh vtp status, sh vtp domain, sh vtp counters (are they increasing?)outputs from both switches.

Isn't there a VTP password or an additional space in the domain name forgotten on the IOS server?

Regards,

Milan

Did you try yet taking the IOS box out of the domain, and then putting it back again?

Try "debug sw-vlan vtp" on the IOS box, and see if you can get something from that trace.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Hi Kevin,

my understanding always was that "set VTP v2 enable" on a CatOS VTP server enables VTP v2 in the whole VTP domain.

(BTW, there was a new "set vtp version" command introduced in CatOS 8.1.)

If everything else is correct, I'd admit there might be an IOS bug (see CSCec41435, e.g.).

So I'd try to enable VTP v2 on one client directly connected to the IOS server and see "what happens".

I've found another bugs which could also cause this problem: CSCdt12929,CSCdz22629.

Regards,

Milan

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card