cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP Domain Operation

cz96p6
Level 1
Level 1

How many switches can you have in one vtp domain operating in server mode? We have redundant core with two 6509s operating as root bridge and seconadary root bridge for multiple vlans.

4 Replies 4

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It really depends on the supervisor and how vlans , how many trunks , how many of the vlans are allowed across each trunk etc.... there is a formula that you can use to figure it out but off the top of my head I don't remember it . For a sup1a we had about 70 vlans trunked to access layer switches and we had all vlans allowed to all switches , we were bumping against the upper limit of the Sup1 card capabilities and just recently we manually pruned off unused subnets of the access layer boxes just to give you an idea .

Just found the info on how to determine how many vlans will be supported , it's really a spanning tree issue because cisco uses a per vlan spanning tree configuration .

The sum of all logical ports equals the number of trunks on the switch times the number of active VLANs on the trunks, plus the number of nontrunking ports on the

switch.

jcazenave
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I think the better solution is to have two VTP server because if you have only one, after a general power off, if the only VTP server don't come up, the others switches neither learn the VLAN.

You can have more than two, but in your case it seems that the two 6509 redondant core switches could be the two VTP server. The others can be only client.

mih911
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

You can have as many as you want. But, it is better to have atleast two and should be on core switches if you have two core switches.

Thank You all.