cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What effect will WRED have on Policy routing?

o.abdella
Level 1
Level 1

Policy routing is configured on a 7200 router and applied to a Serial interface. There are three classes defined, one being a priority class.

What effect will configuring WRED (wth default settings) have on the priority class?

4 Replies 4

lldygowski
Level 1
Level 1

I think you are asking whether turning on WRED will impact priority (LLQ) class -- the answer is it depends! It depends on what type of configuration you are using on the serial interface. Are you using the modular QoS command line interface to apply the QoS policy? It is possible to use the MQC to run WRED on a particular traffic class and not touch priority (LLQ) class. If you apply WRED on the interface rather than using the MQC to create classes, you could impact LLQ type traffic.

Post an example of the config I can assist further.

MQC is being used, config below.

You are saying configuring RED within the class-map will and not the interface?

Thank you in advance.

===================================================

!

class-map SP_to_SP

match access-group 112

class-map FTP

match access-group 111

class-map OSA_SNA

match access-group 110

!

!

policy-map DS3

class FTP

bandwidth 5000

class SP_to_SP

bandwidth 5000

class OSA_SNA

priority 5000

class class-default

fair-queue

!

int s1/0

service-policy output DS3

!

I am saying to enable it within the policy map for the particular class that you want to WRED. For example, if we want to do WRED on the class FTP only, just insert random-detect as shown below in your config. This assumes that you want to use the default settings for WRED. This configuration will have no impact on the traffic class that you have placed in LLQ (priority). Don't do WRED on the interface. I hope this helps!

policy-map DS3

class FTP

bandwidth 5000

random-detect <--- insert this command to WRED FTP

class SP_to_SP

bandwidth 5000

class OSA_SNA

priority 5000

class class-default

fair-queue

I meant to ask:

You are saying configuring RED within the class-map will and not the interface will not affect the LLQ class?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card