cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

wireless print server

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

I am installing a wireless print server which attaches straight to my printer via the ethernet cable. How do these work, does the printer itself retain the ip or to you put an ip on the wireless adapter ?

5 Replies 5

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Does the print server attach to your printer via ethernet or via parallel or usb cable. Normally, the printer connects to the print server via usb or parallel cable and the print server connects to the network via ethernet or wireless. In this case, you give the print server an IP address.

Hope this helps.

Brandon

It connects to the wireless print server via ethernet , the printer itself has an ethernet card and ip address already but we want this to be wireless !!

What type of print server are you using? If you are using something like the Linksys shown at the link below, the ethernet port is an option to connect the print server to the network. It is not used to connect the printer to the print server. I'm guessing your printer also has USB and/or parallel ports. Use one of these to connect to the print server and let the print server connect wirelessly to the network.

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?childpagename=US%2FLayout&packedargs=c%3DL_Product_C2%26cid%3D1114037289584&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

Hope this helps.

Brandon

So would I put the ip on the printer or print server then ?

The IP address will go on the print server.

Brandon

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card