Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't dialout using analog modem in C2620XM

yewting
Level 1
Level 1

HI,

I'm having problem to dialout to a remote site via the analog modem in C2620XM router.Attached with the router config, version and debug output. Pls advise. Thank you very much for your help.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

From the debugs it appears that the dial-in remote router does not want to do CHAP (rejecting CHAP out right).

Try the following on the calling router,

conf term

interface async 1

ppp authentication pap chap

ppp pap sent-username password

For more info on pap/ chap issues please refer:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk713/tk507/technologies_tech_note09186a0080093c6f.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk713/tk507/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080094333.shtml

Thanks, Mak

View solution in original post

Hello,

ok, I thought it was a Cisco box at the other end.

You might want to try and configure this then instead (this is actually how a Cisco router would dial into an ISP):

ppp authentication chap callin

ppp chap hostname abc

no ppp pap sent-username

ppp chap password XXXX

Can you try if this works ?

Regards,

GP

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Hello,

I think your CHAP doesn't authenticate properly.

Try and add the following to your configuration:

username XXXX password YYYY

where XXXX is the name of the remote site. On the other site you need the same statement:

username abc password YYYY

The passwords have to match on both sides.

Can you try this and see if it works ?

Regards,

GP

Hi GP,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I had put in the same username and password in both sites. Attached is the latest debug and config. Seem that i'm getting the same error when the LCP negotiation is running. I can see the packet been reject ( I CONFREJ [ACKsent]) although i have set the username and password. However, if i'm using my windows pc to dial out to the same site with same username and password, i'm able to connect to the remote site with no error. Hope you can help me on this. Thank you in advance for your help.

Hello,

just to be sure that I understand: I assume you have put the following string in your router abc:

username def password 0 cisco

and the following string in the router def:

username abc password 0 cisco

I am just asking because you are saying that you have put the same username and password on both sides. The username on each side is the name of the other router, respectively, just the passwords have to be the same.

Regards,

GP

Hi GP,

Again thank you for prompt reply. I understand what's your concern. The string in the router will be the hostname of the router. Actually the remote site is a linux server with an modem attached to it. The cisco router will act like a client dialout to the linux server. I think is very similiar when we dialout to an isp using our pc.Hope this will give a clear picture of the setup to u. In this case, we just specific the chap username and password in the interface async1 (ppp chap password 0 remote1) Pls advise.I have follow the sample configuration in cisco documentation to configure the interface async1 however still not working.

From the debugs it appears that the dial-in remote router does not want to do CHAP (rejecting CHAP out right).

Try the following on the calling router,

conf term

interface async 1

ppp authentication pap chap

For more info on pap/ chap issues please refer:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk713/tk507/technologies_tech_note09186a0080093c6f.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk713/tk507/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080094333.shtml

Thanks, Mak

Hi Mak & GP,

Thank you very much for your help. Finally it works and running. Here are the final config in the router.

interface Async1

ip address negotiated

encapsulation ppp

dialer in-band

dialer string 92237592 modem-script async

dialer-group 1

async mode dedicated

no keepalive

I think is because the ppp authentication that i config previously was wrong. Anyway, now i'm trying to encrypt the connection with ipsec. Again the information that given by your is very useful. Thanks....

Hello,

ok, I thought it was a Cisco box at the other end.

You might want to try and configure this then instead (this is actually how a Cisco router would dial into an ISP):

ppp chap hostname abc

no ppp pap sent-username

ppp chap password XXXX

Can you try if this works ?

Regards,

GP