Views
Helpful
Replies

How to copy multiple files from router CF to another router'd CF or TFTP

femi.agboade
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I installed a new 3925 yesterday to try and replace and older 3825, hence i was burdened with the task of first adapting the config to work with the 3925 which had a different hardware spec, and then copying IPT files off the CF which became a nightmare when i saw the number of files.

I somehow managed to get through the config part, but failed to make significant progress in copying the files on the CF because they were just too many. I ended up doing repeat commands like copy flash:<filename> tftp:<filename>

Is there anyway to copy all the files with just one command?

I also tried using the SDM on the router but whenever I plugged my usb flash drive into it, the router does not recognize it.

Any ideas please?

Regards,

Femi

6 Replies 6

Raphael Wouters
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Femi,

There are some support for TAR in some IOS version, the 3925 probably running a recent IOS may support the create TAR operation if you want to copy from one flash to the other. Use:

archive tar /create

to generate one and

archive tar /xtract

to extract it.

Router#archive tar ?      

/create  create a tar file

/table   List files in tar file

/xtract  Extract files in tar file

If that doesn't work for you, there is also the possibility to use TCL, this has for example been discussed in other thread such as:

Kind regards,
Raphael

Hi there,

thanks at least for this idea, however it's also useless in case I've seized parent folder with tons of configs and BIN files, and trying to make some exclude action (possible in UNIX) is impossible, i.e. for few BIN files.

This is shame on Cisco for generating tons of features and hardware over years and not having there this original UX world capability.. :-)) Also moving files among folders, not just copy and delete..

I checked CLT tool with "archive" keyword and found also that I can make online tar archive on TFTP server.. Again, would be great if there was small space on flash, however without some exclude cap it's useless, becuase in my case I have issue that my transfer stops after some 30MB with directly attached server on WinX SP3 (dont have time to connect Win7..). I use parent folder as ".", that also includes my believed-to-be-excluded dir "/IOS/". It's a crap.

Would wonder if someone was being able to do this in IOS.

Regards

Peter

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/fundamentals/command/reference/cf_book/cf_a1.html#wp1047206

The following example shows how to create a TAR file. The command writes the contents of the new-configs directory on the local flash device to a file named saved.tar on the TFTP server at 172.20.136.9.

Switch# archive tar /create tftp:172.20.136.9/saved.tar flash:/new-configs

Wrong on ios 15.5:

Must be

archive tar /create tftp://10.43.255.217/vg1e.tar flash0:

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Take the CF out and use a multi-card reader to transfer the files.

That's a issue for me currenly too... Local reader is broken and have no time to repair or buy one :-D. Defiinitely only way to avoid this backup nightmare, yep!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: