cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to reset a 2501 series router

webdr
Level 1
Level 1

i purchased a 2501 series router. I can't get any response through the console conection. I have tried every possible port setting in terminal mode.

Ex. 8n1 8n2 7n2 etc. I have tried terminal. The only response I can get is udp traffic through the aui port. I also need a way to reset the router to factory defaults.

6 Replies 6

john-lucero
Level 1
Level 1

I have a couple of questions.

My typical terminal settings are

8 data bits

1 stop bit

no parity

Flow Control XonXoff

Are you using the same?

What kind of cable configuration are you using?

If you have a good serial connection you should be able to see something.

I have used every possible terminal connection.

I have a db9 to rj45 preconfigured cable that if I am not mistaken came with the router. If I replace the cable what is the configuration. I have a db9 to rj45 terminal block wired to null. female to female. I need to make the proper rj45 to rj45 patch cable.

I need to locate a db9 to rj-45 pinout reference chart for this item.

michael-faust
Level 1
Level 1

Unless you have a bad console port (not my first guess) you probably have a port configuration issue or a cabling issue. 9600 8 1 N is the default, but it could have been changed. You say that you have tried different settings, but have you tried different speeds?

My first guess though, is a cabling issue. Get a breakout box and check it out. I usually start with all of the connections open. This tells me what each end is trying to do. Are the two devices (router and PC) trying to transmit on the same pin? No - good! Close connections 2, 3, & 7. Does it work? The router only cares about TX, RX, and GN. How about the PC? Is it looking for control leads? Is it set for no flow control? Check all of these things until you get it to work.

Once you can communicate with the router you can set it to default. You will probably need to do password recovery. You will find information on Cisco's site on how to do this, so I won't waste space here. But you must establish communication first! You can't do password recovery unless you can talk to the router.

Once you know the password (console and enable) you can erase the configuration (write erase) and reload. Do not save the config before the reload as it defeats the purpose of the write erase. The router will reboot and be in default mode. Have fun!!!

As said - it is not likely that you have a bad console port. To prove your PC and cabling quickly, just connect to another router or switch. If this works, its fair to say your PC / cabling is OK - its much quicker than a breakout box etc. Assuming the router is not default, have you tried connecting via ethernet? Did the seller of the device supply you any config? or can they?

If you have another router available, you can connect to it for test purposes. If not, a breakout box is a good choice because you can see what both sides are trying to do. If your only intent is to prove that the PC and cable will function, and you want to do it "much quicker that a breakout box etc", just short pins 2&3 and type. If your typing is echoed back (local echo off) your application, PC port and your cable are good. This method doesn't tell you what the router is doing, nor does it check your terminal configuration (it will work at any speed). I stand by my advice to use a breakout box. Get a breakout box and learn to use it. It will make your life much easier today and many times in the future.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: