Views
Helpful
Replies

"show frame-relay pvc" DLCI question

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Experts,

Small doubt so want to get it clear. I was checking then when we run the command "sh frane-relay pvc" command the out we get also contains the usage for DLCI. Sometimes I see the usage as "Local" and sometimes I see it as "Unused".

What exactly it means? As far as I know DLCI is locally significant so the usage should mean LOCAL. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Please if somebody can explain me the output of "sh frane-relay pvc" command for DLCI feild.

Thanx

Ankur

5 Replies 5

Josef Oduwo
Level 7
Level 7

Ankur,

There is a good explanation of the show frame relay pvc output here: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1829/products_feature_guide09186a0080086f72.html#xtocid2105611.

The whole document is also good for other frame relay switching troubleshooting and diagnostic issues.

Josef.

frenzeus
Level 4
Level 4

Hi ankur,

DLCI USAGE = UNUSED would mean that u have not configured on the specific interfaces to reference the DLCIs assigned to u from the sp, which u normally receive dlci information via LMI from the service provider's fr switch to ur router.

The commands, under interface/sub-interface (whichever is applicable) configuration mode, frame-relay interface-dlci xx or frame-relay map commands would usually have ur interface reference the specific dlci,

For more information on DLCI usage, refer to the following link, look under "show frame-relay pvc", table 29.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1831/products_command_reference_chapter09186a0080087e14.html#1022425

Hope it helps.

Hi Frenzeus,

Thanx for your reply!!

What I am aware of it is LMI automatically assigns a DLCI number from the switch to DTE device if it is not a sub interface config as LMI does not work for suninterfaces.

So that means if LMI automatically assignes DLCi to my interface that time the DLCI usgae will always be LOCAL right?

Only case in which DLCI usage will be unused will be if LMI is been disabled or not working or it is a sub interface config and we have not manually assigned a DLCI number? Am I right?

Regards,

Ankur

Hi Ankur,

Yes, my mistake. Indeed the LMI is a configuration on the main/physical interface, not on a sub-if.

So that means if LMI automatically assignes DLCi to my interface that time the DLCI usgae will always be LOCAL right?

- Not really. DLCIs still need to be referenced by the earlier mentioned commands. If the DLCIs are not referenced or configured to be used, the DLCIs would remain as UNUSED.

Here is a sample of a config that i had this environment tested out:

interface Serial0/0

no ip address

encapsulation frame-relay

no fair-queue

!

router#sh fram pvc

PVC Statistics for interface Serial0/0 (Frame Relay DTE)

-

-

DLCI = 111, DLCI USAGE = UNUSED, PVC STATUS = ACTIVE, INTERFACE = Serial0/0

I did not configure any commands on int s0/0 to reference DLCI = 111 that i obtained from the FR switch via LMI, and hence the DLCI usage is UNUSED, and not LOCAL.

Hi,

I found this topics searching for the same behaviour....sometimes show frame-relay pvc show DLCI USAGE = LOCAL and sometimes UNUSED

R2#sh ver

Cisco IOS Software, 2800 Software (C2800NM-ADVENTERPRISEK9-M), Version 12.4(24)T5, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

Copyright (c) 1986-2011 by Cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Fri 04-Mar-11 03:52 by prod_rel_team

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.3(8r)T7, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Serial0/0/0 does not have specific configuration regarding DLCI (I use subi/f)

interface Serial0/0/0

no ip address

encapsulation frame-relay IETF

no frame-relay inverse-arp

frame-relay lmi-type cisco

end

Somebody can help me ? Thanks.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card