cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Reusing VLAN IDs Segregated by L3

heath.barnhart
Level 1
Level 1

This may be a dumb question, but one that has been on my mind for a while. I'm currently evaluating our network for a redesign. Its currently a collapsed core (end to end) vVLAN network, where most of our SVI's reside on our core router. I'm wanting to push that out to our distribution layer devices to decrease the routing load and set us up for other things in the future (redundancy, etc).

While working on this I came up with an idea, and I want to get some feed back on it. Would it be possible to use the same VLAN ID in multiple parts of the network, but separate them at layer 3 and have each VLAN ID instance use a separate subnet. For example, lets say I have 3 network devices in my network, three multilayer switches, A, B, and C, connected in series (A>B>C). Switch A and C have VLANs 1 and 3 on them, but the connection between A>B and C>B only carries VLAN 1. Could I then put an SVI for VLAN3 in one subnet, 192.168.0.0/24, and another VLAN3 SVI on switch C, 10.0.0.0/24.

VLAN3(192.168.0.254/24)----------SwitchA--------L3Network---------------------SwitchB------------------VLAN1-----------------------SwitchC---Vlan3(10.0.0.254/24)

Outside of possible confusion of what subnet is in which VLAN  and where, what other drawbacks could there be? If a better diagram would help I can make one as well.

3 Replies 3

Raju Sekharan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi

There is no issue with that becasue the VLAN inforamtion is local to that network and you are not trunking between them

Thanks

Raju

Although you should thry to avoid it. Who knows, maybe you'll have a migration project later, creating one switch domain from the two (like we have now ).

SOcchiogrosso
Level 4
Level 4

I typically try to keep the VLAN number near the IP address of the subnet for example

VLAN 125 - 172.16.125.0 /24

VLAN 99 - 192.168.99.0 /24

As mentioned above VLAN IDs are only relelvant to the L2 domain so you can pick almost anything but why not use that to your advantage.    

--
CCNP, CCIP, CCDP, CCNA: Security/Wireless
Blog: http://ccie-or-null.net/

-- CCNP, CCIP, CCDP, CCNA: Security/Wireless Blog: http://ccie-or-null.net/