cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Access the Internet from DMZ

bz
Level 1
Level 1

I'm a starter! Okay, one (2.2.2.2) of the servers on the DMZ needs to access the Internet. The server's DNS is pointing to a DNS server (1.1.1.1) on the outside of the PIX. I don't understand why this doesn't work, I thought that everything is allow out by default. <br>Now, when I added 2 access-list: <br>access-list acl_dmz permit udp host 2.2.2.2 host 1.1.1.1 eq 53 <br>access-list acl_dmz permit tcp host 2.2.2.2 any eq 80 <br>I can get out to the Internet. Please advice!!!

4 Replies 4

engel
Level 2
Level 2

NAT or PAT the 2.2.2.2 to an available IP address at the outside interface, then no need for those access-lists.

turnbull
Level 1
Level 1

I take it these lines were added to an ACL called acl_dmz already bound to the interface.

With a valid NAT translation through the pix from dmz to outside, traffic will flow by default so long as there is no ACL.

Applying the ACL creates an implicit deny at the end of the list.

Hi, yes there are other ACLs applied to acl_dmz bound to the dmz interface. So, is that mean I have implicitly allow traffic to go out to the Internet?

Each Access Control Lists ends with an implicit deny all statement, whether you configure it or not. So, if you do apply an acl to an interface, you need to create an entry for all traffic allowed.