cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5540 image download

Tarun Vyas
Level 1
Level 1

I am having cisco ASA 5540 firewall with running version 8.2(5). This is very old version and i want to upgrade to version 9.1(X). I have checked path which is 8.2(X) -> 9.0(4) -> 9.1(X).

But this device is EOS and no image version available on cisco site to download. Can anybody tell me how I can get correct cisco image to download and upgrade the asa 5540 firewall.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sure we consider and appreciated your approach as long as it working environment. since 8.2 to (8.4) 9.x - big changes in NAT and other stuff, it may break live setup.

If you get a chance to replace it with new hardware that supports the latest version and cutover is a good idea.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

bare in mind lot syntax change, from 8.2 to 9.0, things may break in different way.

my suggestion is 8.2 --8.4 . 9.X --9.1 is the best approach - make sure each stage test and take the backup configuration different version.

you can still download required version from softwre site, make sure you have contract or enough rights  to download.

https://software.cisco.com/download/home/280582808/type/280775065/release/9.1.7%20Interim

BB

Thank You Balaji for suggestion and download link. But here it is not showing 8.x release version.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

i looked at again the document (moved from 8.X almost 6+years), i believe you can go to 9.X

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/upgrade/asa-upgrade/planning.html

BB

Tarun Vyas
Level 1
Level 1

One can try upgrade with given version on cisco site but I have decided to not upgrade. I guess there will be lot of changes in configuration which can create issue and also I can not go to cisco for any support in case any criticality duo to EOS device model.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sure we consider and appreciated your approach as long as it working environment. since 8.2 to (8.4) 9.x - big changes in NAT and other stuff, it may break live setup.

If you get a chance to replace it with new hardware that supports the latest version and cutover is a good idea.

BB

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: