Views
Helpful
Replies

Botnet-filter update not working

jni
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

We have a couple of customers running the Cisco ASA botnet-filter. However the auto updater hasn't been working for a couple of weeks.

Do any of you know anything about the issue or have the same issue?

Symptoms:
- When ever the dynamic-filter updater client tries to auto update the database, it fails. 
- The log shows the following info in regards to this:

May 09 2016 15:06:40 asa : %ASA-6-725001: Starting SSL handshake with server outside:<asa-public-ip>/62899 for TLS session.
May 09 2016 15:06:40 asa : %ASA-6-725006: Device failed SSL handshake with server outside:<asa-public-ip>/62899
May 09 2016 15:06:40 asa : %ASA-3-338310: Failed to update from dynamic filter updater server 
https://update-manifests.ironport.com, reason: Failed to connect to updater server

- A show command for the dynamic-filter updater client:

sh dynamic-filter updater-client
Dynamic Filter updater client is enabled
Updater server URL is https://update-manifests.ironport.com
Application name: threatcast, version: 1.0
Encrypted UDI: xxxxx
Last update attempted at 10:53:01 CEDT May 11 2016,
with result: Failed to connect to updater server
Next update is in 00:34:07
No database file

Any help would be grately appreciated :o)

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

It is a non-public bug and the advice is to upgrade to a version 9.3 or greater.

In the meantime a use-at-your-own-risk work-around involves removing the Diffie-Hellman variants in your encryption:

Such as:

ssl encryption aes128-sha1 aes256-sha1 3des-sha1

View solution in original post

In my case my default 'ssl encryption' was

ssl encryption rc4-sha1 dhe-aes128-sha1 dhe-aes256-sha1 aes128-sha1 aes256-sha1 3des-sha1

Using the work-around solved my problem at least initially until I schedule the upgrade mtc. window.  When comparing configurations before and after this does appear to have an effect on crypto ipsec ike.... statements so I'd use with caution, preferably in a test environment

ssl encryption aes128-sha1 aes256-sha1 3des-sha

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

lkskipper
Level 1
Level 1

We too are having this issue with customers running the Botnet filter. Any luck with a solution? 

Dynamic Filter is using downloaded database version '1461783233'
Fetched at 17:00:18 EDT Apr 27 2016, size: 2097152

sh dynamic-filter updater-client
Dynamic Filter updater client is enabled
Updater server URL is https://update-manifests.ironport.com
Application name: threatcast, version: 1.0
Encrypted UDI: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Last update attempted at 17:46:43 EDT May 24 2016,
with result: Failed to connect to updater server
Next update is in 00:59:55
No database file

FWL# dynamic-filter database fetch
ERROR: Dynamic Filter: update failed

We have attempted to disable the dynamic database, purge it, and then re-enable it. However, it continues to fail each fetch attempt. We can ping update-manifests.ironport.com with no issues from the ASA, and have an explicit rule allowing it. DNS lookup is enabled on all interfaces. 

Any assistance is much appreciated!

No update. Still not working and no one with a solution.

I'm having the exact same issue (for about the same amount of time).  Suddenly updates stopped.   Everything checks out OK DNS, ping  to ironport etc.   I'll be calling TAC soon

I would appreciate it if you would post the TAC reply :o)

Opened a case 2 days ago, sent show tech, debugs and packet captures...still waiting to hear back.  From what I can tell from the packet caps during a DB fetch command, my ASA is talking to ironport, Certs are being exchanged but no updates happen, no DB is downloaded.

Yes, it appears to be some sort of SSL issue. I receive this in the logs when I try to do a dynamic-filter database fetch:

Device failed SSL handshake with server 

The problem seems to be the DHE (Diffie–Hellman key exchange) in cipher suites.

Using

ssl encryption aes256-sha1 aes128-sha1

and therefore leaving out cipher suites with DHE and other older and less secure cipher suites like 3des-sha worked for me.

The problem is still present in version 9.2(4)18

One can reproduce the problem by using

ssl encryption dhe-aes256-sha1 dhe-aes128-sha1 aes256-sha1 aes128-sha1

With

terminal monitor
debug dynamic-filter updater-client
dynamic-filter database fetch

and

show dynamic-filter updater-client
show dynamic-filter data

one can get a better insight into the problem.

@Thomas Born: An upgrade to 9.3+ would be best solution, but this is a good workaround for e.g. ASA-5505.

Did you ever receive an answer from TAC?

It is a non-public bug and the advice is to upgrade to a version 9.3 or greater.

In the meantime a use-at-your-own-risk work-around involves removing the Diffie-Hellman variants in your encryption:

Such as:

ssl encryption aes128-sha1 aes256-sha1 3des-sha1

Thank you for your reply. I will try to upgrade some of the fw. Unfortunately some of the fw are 5505 which can't be upgraded to 9.3+.

In regards to DH, is it everywhere in the config that DH has to be removed e.g. in the crypto ike groups?

In my case my default 'ssl encryption' was

ssl encryption rc4-sha1 dhe-aes128-sha1 dhe-aes256-sha1 aes128-sha1 aes256-sha1 3des-sha1

Using the work-around solved my problem at least initially until I schedule the upgrade mtc. window.  When comparing configurations before and after this does appear to have an effect on crypto ipsec ike.... statements so I'd use with caution, preferably in a test environment

My rather old 5505 cannot be upgraded to 9.3 - it doesn't exist.

I tried to upgrade to the latest 9.2(4) interim 13 but same issue.

I then tried to follow the suggestion from saultcollege and configured:

This fixed the issue for me - however still only a workaround.

did you get an answer from TAC? I have the exact same issue, and I dont want to enable this ssl encryption, does upgrading to 9.3 will solve it? I have 9.1

thank you.