cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Frame Relay 31 Sites

d-means
Level 1
Level 1

I am currently under going a 31 site installation of Frame Relay. I have a CCIE that will design the network through the provider. I am a+, Network+, CCNA I operate a AS400 with a unix based NOS. My problem is that I will be responsible for this network along with other duties such PC purchasing, configuration and help, LAN Administration, and WAN connections.

I understand how to configure these devices to a certain extent but I feel that there is something missing.

Will the provider provide the configuration SPECs or will I have to determin the configuration.

*PS, yes I have asked for help but boss feels I don't need it. He says, " need on the job training "

but I will be the only one installing and mantaining these circuits.

How hard is it? Project start soon in 2 months.

5 Replies 5

s-doyle
Level 3
Level 3

I’d start off by getting some basic IOS training so you are familiar with Cisco routers and command line enteries. If your boss won’t get additional help be sure to have a TAC support contract on all your devices and you should be fine. Good Luck!

trala
Level 1
Level 1

Your Telco can provide you with the interface configuration for the connection to them. You tell them the router model. They will respond with a cnfig you can cut and paste. Frame Relay is not hard and I think you will enjoy the connection turn-ups, I know I do.

Troy

jorobinson
Level 1
Level 1

Overall Frame Relay is pretty simple to install. The best method I have found is to use sub-interfaces under a primary serial interface. Check the IOS configuration examples - they are the model to follow.

I run a 70 node frame network - here's some implementation tips.

IP Addressing for Frame Relay ports - don't waste IP addresses. Pick a single RFC 1918 Class C range and subnet it with either a 255.255.255.248 or 255.255.255.252 subnet mask.

Traffic Management. Don't get hung up on CIR. Most Frame Relay vendors try to make this a big deal. Think about what CIR is - basically it determines when the DE bit is set. The only place it's going to have any real affect is in the Frame Relay switch not at the end points. Try using a 0 CIR - it much cheaper in most cases. If you get a lot of BECN's up the CIR rate

Last Tip. Don't rely on your vendor to determine how many PVC's you can put on a single Frame Relay line. It's going to depend on the type of traffic (IP / IPX / SNA etc) you are going to transmit. You'll have to pay close attention to the overall loading of the Frame Relay circuits to make sure a single PVC doesn't "hog" all of the bandwidth. Again - check the IOS config guides. They show you how to manage this.

millerv
Level 1
Level 1

You wanted a drink of water, you got the firehose.

How much of the design will be done by the CCIE?

That can range from a visio of pictures to a detailed

outline of addressing, summarization points, etc etc.

Get with the IE and find out how much they are going to do. Then look at the applications you need to support at the remote end, take a stab at your bandwidth requirements. Is the carrier going to do the remote installs? The big thing with frame is understanding split horizon issues, and routing updates...In hub and spoke, you can have the access routers just use a default route....make sure you understand subinterface configuration, and various frame relay commands. balance your access links (depending on bandwidth requirements) between at least 2 head end access links, and if possible splt those among 2 differet routers. Plan a pilot install,

and once you get a config model that works, cookie cutter it!. Come up with what you think will work, and then get a meeting with the CCIE. have them review your idea...

tinytec
Level 1
Level 1

Millerv has great ideas & you should be able to get TAC support with no problems. Be sure though when looking at your subnet requirements that you give yourself ample room for expansion, don't hem yourself in. Also, I see no mention of redundant elements or dial-in lines, so you may want to consider where redundancy might be needed, for instance at very high traffic sites or sites where connectivity is critical. I think you will find the Cisco community very willing to help you too, even if your boss isn't. Frame-relay isn't all that hard. Be sure you have all the contact info you need though, because if you are leasing your WAN connections from local carriers & LD carriers (and you probably are), you will be dealing with a lot of LEC's. Know what service agreements you have & what options there are in the event of critical outage. You also may want to consider some type of monitoring system that will give you the ability to see problems on your network in real-time. Keep excellent contact lists & when setting all of this up, come up with a simple naming convention so that you can tell at a glance where an element is. Having good tools to deal with will make your job easier. When you configure routers & switches, give good descriptions to all of your interfaces & subinterfaces so that you don't have to chase information down all the time. Consider a tftp server to address upgrades to your IOS & new installs. Use forums like this one as a good resource, you will be fine. Good luck! Dawn