Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS Firewall Feature set for Cisco 1750 router

anthonydalekuhn
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all:

I'm trying set up a firewall on my network between my LAN and an Internet connection using Cisco products. I've been trying to figure out which Firewall Feature set version I need to update my 1750 router, which is using IOS version 12.2.(5). I have a WIC-1ENET card in slot 0, and my version of IOS doesn't recognize the card, so I'm assuming I need to purchase the Firewall feature set. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to how this works? I'm new to Cisco IOS and I'm not sure how the Firewall feature set interleaves/overlaps the current IOS on the router. Does the FW feature set get loaded "on top of" the IOS or do I have to reload a whole IOS version to get the Firewall set? Is the Firewall available as just an upgrade and is there a price cut involved for just the upgrade?Which version can I start with (sometimes there are older versions available at lower cost, as the FW set upgrade looks to cost about 700 dollars!) or do I have to use the latest and greatest? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Anthony Kuhn

PS The weather up here in Fairbanks, Alaska is snowy and gray, for those who would like to know!

2 Replies 2

mike
Level 1
Level 1

You need to load a whole new image onto the router. Basically, you need to select an image that:

1. Is built for the 1750

2. Supports the WIC-1ENET

3. Includes the FW feature set (also known as CBAC, context based access control)

Main question for you: do you have smartnet on your router? If you do, you can register for a CCO login which will allow you to download the appropriate software from cisco's site. You should pay your friendly Cisco reseller for the software too ;-) Talk to your reseller about it.

mike kantowski

ccnp

Mike-

Thanks for the info! The router in question in out of warranty about (about 18 mos old) and unfortunately, we don't have smartnet for it. The router wasn't purchased through an authorized reseller, but maybe we'll have to find one? I did find the Firewall Feature set for 1700 series routers for sale (Cisco part #: FL17-H=) at this url:

http://www.provantage.com/FC_CSCR3.HTM

This is just one place that I found this item, but it appears you have to get the memory upgrade at the same time, and we already have max memory installed. Hmmmm...Do you think this upgrade is an add-on, or is it an IOS version complete with the FW feature set? Thanks again for your help.

Anthony