cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Outlook Express, IOS FW, can't send email

srganote1
Level 1
Level 1

I am using ios firewall on a 2620 router. Firewall was configured using ConfigMaker v2.6. I allow the internet to access http(80), pop3(110), and smtp(25) on my mail server. When using Outlook Express from an outside connection I cannot send email. I get the "550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for ... server error 550, error number: 0x800ccc79". Is there something else I need to open/allow?

Receiving email works, I have 'my server requires authentication' checked (must be this way). Thanks.

11 Replies 11

nkhawaja
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Could you disable fixup protocol SMTP? Are you running microsoft Exchange Server? Receiving email is done with pop3/imap, while the sending is via smtp

Thanks

Nadeem

Hello,

To resolve this issue, I would like to search Microsoft Knowledge Base, that may find some useful articles, such as Q290808 ( 9-22-2003 ), Q813514

( 9-28-2004 ), and Q290842 ( 4-9-2004 ).

Also it may be necessary to contact the E-mail Provider or ISP for its help or assistance.

Perhaps you have already resolved this problem. So this message is for your reference only.

Thanks,

Liangwei

aathomas
Level 1
Level 1

AS per my other response .

I found I needed to do this on a 1401 with FW IOS for certain websites AND Outlook express to work.

Not exactly well documented though and it does open your network to all JAVA.

i.e :-

!

ip inspect name ethernetin ftp

ip inspect name ethernetin realaudio

ip inspect name ethernetin smtp

ip inspect name ethernetin streamworks

ip inspect name ethernetin tcp

ip inspect name ethernetin tftp

ip inspect name ethernetin udp

ip inspect name ethernetin http java-list 99

!

access-list 99 remark ***JAVA Filter***

access-list 99 permit any log

!

I have found this to fix FTP download issues (slow and stopping in the middle) as well.... This is a problem with 831's .. we have a few.. and found this solution after some digging as well!

wehucisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I do have the same problem with a soho96 router and ios 12.2 software. The firewall is the problem. If I switch it of sending e-mail works fine. But how can I solve the problem within the firewall ? I don´t know how to reprogram the firewall :-((

Thanks.

alif
Level 1
Level 1

Its not a firewall issue. Its because IP address used by Outlook client is not an MX record of any domain, therefore, your email software will consider it as illegal MTA. Its a good security pracitice. But you can configure your email software to allow relaying. For that you will have to check email software documentation.

rgiacco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi...

Maybe cause for your problem:

The Auth and Auth login commands ([SMTP] commands) are stripped by a Cisco firewall/router.

Resolution:

On your firewall/router disable SMTP inspection .

wolfkiel
Level 1
Level 1

Earlier versions of the IOS/FW do not support ESMTP. Update your IOS or remove SMTP from the CBAC config (no protocol checking).

- Albert

Hello,,

thanks all for Your answers to my question. Since I got the router from my company for my home office I am officially not allowed to change settings. Will all settings remain after an IOS upgrade ? And how could I remove SMTP from CBAC config as an alternative ? I have no experience in programming this router. Thanks a lot for Your help. I am looking forward to Your solution.

Werner.

mugzz
Level 1
Level 1

As Alif has stated...this is a mailserver configuration issue, not a fiewall issue. If you must test from this "outside" domain, then configure your mailserver to allow relaying. Note: be careful...it is a dangerous practice.

jeff.bankston
Level 1
Level 1

It's actually a bit of both. You didn't say what type of mail server you're connecting to, but the firewall smtp inspection breaks connections to servers using ESMTP. So, your options are to remove that inspection, or change the type of the server's smtp method.

Of course, you can't change the ISP's mail server, so that should spell out your options.

From the Microsoft support web site (and the info is publicly available):

---------------

These error messages may occur if Microsoft Outlook or if Microsoft Outlook Express cannot establish a connection with your e-mail server. These error messages are frequently caused by one of the following:

Incorrect account settings

Misconfiguration of personal firewall software

Antivirus software

A bad modem

Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU) size

Outlook Express has been removed from the computer or the installation is damaged

Your user profile in Outlook is damaged

An e-mail item on your POP3 server is damaged

------------------------------

As you can see, this is quite vague and is clueless towards a firewall setting or problem.

-Jeff