Views
Helpful
Replies

BNG Qos Bundle-Ethernet Problem

ssantiss
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have the following issue in the past weeks that it is driving me a little bit crazy. Hope someone of you can help me.

To make the explanation simple, I will focus on what is most important. We are running BNG in a ASR9001 with a bundle-ethernet link facing to the aggregation switch. At the beginning, this bundle-ethernet had only one physically 20G interface as memeber. The Qos is applied to each bundle-ethernet access subinterface (client interface) accordingly to their contract. So each costumer got a Download (traffic shaping) and Upload (traffic policing)  rate accordinly on their BNG access interface. Till this point it was no issue.

The issue came as soon as we upgraded the bundle-ethernet with an additionally 20G interface. So now instead of a 1x20G we have now 2x20G on this bundle-ethernet. After this, we noted that all clients were getting the double download bandwith. 

At this point the bundle-ether had no spesific config. After making some testings and research I found that the issue could be related to the load-balancing within the bundle-ethernet. So I applied a bundle load-balancing hash dst-ip and automatically the issue seemed to be fixed. Sadly it was not the case. A client might have more that one computer connected to the access-port. Each computer get an IP in the process of the bundle access subinterface with their corresponding qos-police based in the client username (remote id + circuit id). So the username for all the compoters within a client is the same and the bandwith should be shared among them. This was the behaviour when we got the 1x20G and 2x20G in the bundle before applying the load-balancing hash configuration. After applying this load-balancing hash configuration each computer within the client were receinving the full contract bandwith. So if the the contract for a client was for example of 5 Mbps in Download it would get 5Mbps on each device connected to the network. The policy-map applied to the BNG subinterfaces with/without this load-balancing commmand on the BE is always the same.

On the bottom line, the upload contracted bandwith was never affected in any point of this issue. 

I hope this explanation was clear anough to undertand our problem and someone can enlighten me.

If someone needs more detail to help us solve this issue please let me know.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

All the best!

0 Replies 0