cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MToP previous step to All IP RAN

gjaimes
Level 5
Level 5

MToP would be like a previous step to an all IP RAN?

Am I right or not?

6 Replies 6

mgrayson
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

So good question!

Does a pseudo-wire based Radio Access Network warrant the "IP RAN" label? Does 3GPP2's MLPPP based Abis equate to an IP RAN?  We have customers running long line TDM based Iub/Abis and backhauling those using pseudo-wires over Gigabit Ethernet based metro networks - is that IP RAN?

What is the unique attribute which enables the industry to characterize a RAN as IP?

What's your view?

Not sure about your scenario. From my point of view I think IP RAN means the use of cell site routers (MWR's) in this case.

Since you can connect Wimax and 3G directly and use pseudowires fot other kinds of traffic.

What do you think?

I think any RAN which doesn't use E2E TDM can be labeled an "IP RAN". A Cell Site Router which supports pseudo-wire encapsulation and uses packet based access and aggregation networks is one such example. Another example is an operator using legacy TDM based access but leveraging pseudo-wire encapsulation at the pre-aggregation site to enable transport over an Ethernet based metro aggregation network. And then there are those operators deploying Ethernet enabled base stations, enabling E2E IP based RAN networks.

In which case the Cisco MTOP solution should be rightfully described as an IP RAN.

Cheers,

Mark

rsynnest
Level 1
Level 1

This is fun question. Some peers tell me the term "IP RAN" implies All-IP (i.e., LTE radio)

For me, once IP/Ethernet enter any part of the RAN, we're talking IP RAN vs. TDM RAN

I'm inclined to kick off a new discusion to poll community for opinions on terminology

Hey Robert areyo  ready to kick off a new discusion to poll community for opinions on terminology?

That'd be interesting !!

Cheers

I kicked off one discussion ... When is a RAN an IP RAN?

Like to see your reply to that thread ... we can try to get others to chime in too

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: