Views
Helpful
Replies

RTU and Licensing problem

salemmahara
Level 3
Level 3

Hello everybody

We're going to order a set of routers. I have some questions which couldn't find their answer after contacting Cisco and its partners :)

1) We want to order a couple of ASR 1001-X . It's a router Chassis with an IP Base feature set. When we should order Security or FW license ? Aren't they included in Advanced Enterprise Services? I mean, does Advanced Enterprise Services include it or not ? Clearly , I don't know when we need them!

2) If we go for Cisco ONE, and order 1001-X or 4000 series in Cisco ONE series and order CISCO ONE WAN FOUNDATION license, is there any need to Advanced features set ? What happens if we order C1-1001-X/K9 with Advanced Enterprise Services and we don't order WAN Foundation?

3) I've read a lot of topic about Honor-Based features in ASR 1000 series. But couldn't find clear answer! If everything is Honor-Based, Why we should order licenses separately? Is it mean all features are active but will stop working after a while? What is the limitation of this licensing model?

2 Replies 2

mehdi.sadighian
Level 1
Level 1

all advanced features   will work on asr-100x-x with advanced enterprise licence activated

the license on ASR series are owner base, if you purchase one, its OK, if you don't purchase the license its OK too, it will work for lifetime.

mehdi.sadighian@hotmail.com
http://msadighain.com

Hello Mehdi

Thank you for replying.

As far as I could gather some information using Cisco Support Chat and Emails:

1. There are different kind of licenses ( Honor-based and Certain )

2. Certain licenses are IP Base , Advanced IP Services and .....

3. Honor-based licenses are Security , Application , ..... .

4. If you're going to use a an advanced feature , you MUST obtain the Certain license ( Advanced IP Services ).

5. Honor-based features can be used with or without valid license but if you're going to make everything hundred percents legal, you should purchase them.

6. Using an advanced feature ( Honor-based or normal ) is not possible without Advanced Certain license ( Feature Set)

Do you agree?

BTW, what about ISR 4000 series? Why they only come with IP Base feature set ? Does it mean all advanced features are included in IP Base license in this series ?