cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Laptop prints on wired connection, not on WiFi

cwensink1
Level 1
Level 1

I have a strange issue that surfaced yesterday.  All devices on the LAN can print when connected to a wired port, but for laptops when unplug the Cat 5, then suddenly I cannot print.  Everything else (websites, e-mail) all work fine.  When on the WiFi I can ping the IP address of the printer, and I can get to the web interface of the printer without problems, but when I send a test print job to the printer, when on WiFi the print job just hangs and says cannot print.

In the title bar of the printer itself the printer says "HP Laserjet 400 Offline", but at the same time I can actively ping the IP of the printer - some. 

When I try a ping -t to the printer I get 6 successful pings, then 1 time out, then 6 successful pings, then 1 timeout, then 20 successful pings, then 1 timeout.  When the laptop is wired in, I can ping continuously with no time outs. 

I have confirmed this issue with now three different wireless devices, (a laptop, a warehouse barcode scanner, and a desktop PC), when trying to print to two different printers, when the connections are being made through three different access points.

I have not changed the configuration for the WiFi in a long time.  The only thing that has been a change is that 3 1/2 weeks ago we had a power outage at the plant, but things seem to come back up again normally after that.

This morning for troubleshooting I tried swapping out the front office and back warehouse AP's, (the most used and least used AP's), but the result is the same.

The desktop that I tried testing with can print to a printer that's shared through a wired desktop, but it cannot print directly to a network printer (wired cat 5 connection).

The wireless network is managed through a Cisco 2504 WLC, with 7 AP's, 4 AIR-LAP1242AG-A-K9, and 3 AIR-CAP1702I-A-K9's.

Yes I am aware this equipment is end of life, and yes I intend to upgrade but I need wireless printing now.

I am not sure if this is related but the log of the WLC has dozens of messages like this:

*spamApTask6: Oct 11 13:50:56.861: #LWAPP-3-REPLAY_ERR: spam_lrad.c:37704 The system has received replay error on slot 1, WLAN ID 1, count 5 from AP b0:aa:77:XX:XX:XX
*spamApTask6: Oct 11 13:48:56.880: #LWAPP-3-REPLAY_ERR: spam_lrad.c:37704 The system has received replay error on slot 1, WLAN ID 1, count 11 from AP b0:aa:77:XX:XX:XX
*spamApTask6: Oct 11 13:46:56.895: #LWAPP-3-REPLAY_ERR: spam_lrad.c:37704 The system has received replay error on slot 1, WLAN ID 1, count 5 from AP b0:aa:77:XX:XX:XX
*spamApTask6: Oct 11 13:44:56.910: #LWAPP-3-REPLAY_ERR: spam_lrad.c:37704 The system has received replay error on slot 1, WLAN ID 1, count 4 from AP b0:aa:77:XX:XX:XX
*spamApTask6: Oct 11 13:42:56.925: #LWAPP-3-REPLAY_ERR: spam_lrad.c:37704 The system has received replay error on slot 1, WLAN ID 1, count 3 from AP b0:aa:77:XX:XX:XX

The Mac address is for the AP that used to be in the front office that was then moved to the back of the warehouse.

I appreciate the help.

Chris

2 Replies 2

john david333
Level 1
Level 1

If this happens, go to Settings > Devices > Printers & Scanners, select your printer, and remove it. Then click Add a Printer or Scanner to re-add it to the device list. Incredibly (and frustratingly), this often gets things up and running again. This may help you. More information can be found on printartisty

EROCK
Level 1
Level 1

Can the wireless network you are on see the network the printer is on? If you are on a guest network, you won't always see the printer. Is your printer on a specific VLan your wireless can't get to?