cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New Cisco 140ac will not complete setup

mmbc-tech
Level 1
Level 1

I purchased a 3 pack of 140ac access points with plans of buying up to 10 more to replace my current enGenius AP network.  I connected the first unit to my network and waited for initial config to complete, then proceeded to follow instructions to configure the remaining setup of the device.  Once complete, I connected the second unit, then waited for hours but the device would never get past the green, amber, red flashing lights and no further configuration could be completed.  I have reset and repeated this process 5 times, always with the same result, the first one sets up without issue, but the second will never fully complete the initial setup.   What am I doing wrong here?

2 Replies 2

mmbc-tech
Level 1
Level 1

Any suggestions…?  Thanks in advance

mmbc-tech
Level 1
Level 1

I have learned a bit more about my issue here, but still needing some guidance...  

I am setting up these 3 140ac access points on a VLAN network.  

IF I connect and boot up the primary AP on a port that is "tagged", it will not proceed past the flashing red led which I believe is waiting for an IP.  After 30 minutes, I toggle the port to "untagged" and the device will proceed to fully boot and accept new clients.  Problem at this point is that no clients can access the internet on an untagged port from the access point since the pfSense firewall requires a proper VLAN tag to apply access rules.  Once I toggle the port back to "tagged" then I am able to access the internet.

Now I plug in the first subordinate 140ac, it cannot connect and properly pull it's config from the the primary if both the primary AP and the subordinate AP port is set to "tagged".  It just hits the circular green, amber, red led pattern for hours.  So I'm stuck in this pattern where the AP's will properly boot if the ports are "untagged" but then no internet access is allowed, but setting them to "tagged" prevents a proper reboot if say the power was lost.

Can anyone please offer a suggestion to the proper config for these to work in the VLAN setup?  I have been using enGenius access points for years and never had any issue like this, and I cannot understand why Cisco does have this issue.

Thanks for any help...