cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

5508 WLC Netflow doesn't seem to populate over to WhatsUpGold

keithsauer507
Level 5
Level 5

Using ipswitch's WhatsUpGold product and we have netflow working from ASA firewalls and 2900 series routers perfectly.  I wanted to see if the 5508 WLC could work in this same way, so I configured it but WhatsUpGold shows 0 flows per minute (basically no netflow data) from the WLC.

I'm not sure if this is a WLC problem or WhatsUpGold issue (I can post to wugspace later).

On the WLC under Wireless, I have Netflow > Exporter and the whats up gold IP and port configured.

Then under Netflow > Monitor I have ipv4_client_app_flow_record tied to that exporter name and it displayed the correct IP / port for whats up gold.

Then under WLANs for our guest and mobile device management SSID's I enabled the netflow monitor under the QoS tab.  I can do the production networks (voip and data) off hours as making changes here disrupt the ssid temporarally.  However I'm not going to waste my time doing that if Netflow is not going to work.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Not all Netflow collectors support WLC netflow. Sometime back I have tested it and see below for detail

http://mrncciew.com/2013/02/13/who-really-support-wlc-netflow/

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Not all Netflow collectors support WLC netflow. Sometime back I have tested it and see below for detail

http://mrncciew.com/2013/02/13/who-really-support-wlc-netflow/

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Thank you.

Thats a real shame Cisco is not implementing netflow in any type of netflow v7 or v9 standards.  Our cisco routers and asa's use standards so I just figured the WLC would as well.

I hope they change their minds and fix this in a future firmware update, however I'm not holding my breath.  The article you linked to was helpful so I'll mark it as correct.

Sometimes Cisco does things that are a real head scratcher.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card