Views
Helpful
Replies

Configure the same SSID with diferente subnets for diferent sites

Gregorio310
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all!

I have a WLC 5508 with aps 2702, i bought new aps 2802 for a diferente site.

On my site i have diferent subnets but the same SSID, how could i coinfigure this new aps with to be associate on my controller with diferente subnets in the same SSID on flex connect mode?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

You don't have to add subnets to the interface in WLC. You just have to add the subnets for local mode APs.

To make it clear lets take below example:

WLC1 - 5508 

APs (2) - 2702 - Local mode

APs (2) - 2802 - Flex mode

SSID - Corpwifi

Local VLAN - 10

Remote site VLAN - 20

Remote site native VLAN - 30

For local mode APs you just configure it as usual. 

For Flex mode, 

1. Create an AP group, broadcast Corpwifi in that group and add 2 2802 APs in the group.

2. Go to AP (Home page -> Wireless -> Select AP) and select flex mode. 

3. Go to flexconnect tab enter native VLAN (30) and select VLAN mappings and enter VLAN (20) for the respective SSID. 

I hope that is clear enough. Please let me know if you have any questions. 

View solution in original post

ISSUE Resolved!

Firts of all I have to change the SSID that I want to use on diferent site with diferent vlans to use flexconnect local switches enable on advanced TAB

The accesws point should have AP mode as Flexconnect

After i have to add the access point to the its owned group and on the FlexConnect TAB in the AP i configure the native vlan id and vlan mapping  on VLAN mappins when we have the Local Siwtches Enable on the SSID you can change the VLAN ID to the Site VLAN.

after this everything is workin!

Thank you for all

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

varma10
Level 1
Level 1

Once you configure the AP in Flex connect mode, you will have FlexConnect tab in AP configuration. You can do VLAN mappings here respective to the remote site SSID with a native VLAN configured on the switch. 

For example today i have

Aps in LOCAL - with some networks

now i will use in flex connect other APS with the same SSID but with diferent subnet also i have to add this subnets in a INTERFACE on WLC?

You don't have to add subnets to the interface in WLC. You just have to add the subnets for local mode APs.

To make it clear lets take below example:

WLC1 - 5508 

APs (2) - 2702 - Local mode

APs (2) - 2802 - Flex mode

SSID - Corpwifi

Local VLAN - 10

Remote site VLAN - 20

Remote site native VLAN - 30

For local mode APs you just configure it as usual. 

For Flex mode, 

1. Create an AP group, broadcast Corpwifi in that group and add 2 2802 APs in the group.

2. Go to AP (Home page -> Wireless -> Select AP) and select flex mode. 

3. Go to flexconnect tab enter native VLAN (30) and select VLAN mappings and enter VLAN (20) for the respective SSID. 

I hope that is clear enough. Please let me know if you have any questions. 

Yes i undestood.

But look my cenário

I have

Site 1

Vlan 10 Management

Interface group of vlans corporate

Vlan 11

Vlan 12

Vlan 13

Other interface vlan guest

Vlan 15

vlan 16

Vlan 17

each vlan provide the `network /24 with a dhcp

SITE 2

I have vlan 20 as NATIVE

Vlan 21 with /23 network to provide the ips. corporate

vlan 22 with /23 network to provide the ips of guest

how configure this on WLC to undestood the vlan 21 as 22 if this vlan is not part of the same site and is not propagate to the controller local site.  

Lookin on this documment

Have other problem should i mark on the SSID the option  flexconnect local switch on the SSID? but is the same SSID for local and remote sites will have any trouble with this?

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/98646/wireless-lan-flexconnect-configuration-example

I found the following post that answer the bellow question https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12237821/same-ssid-both-local-and-flexconnect-sites

ISSUE Resolved!

Firts of all I have to change the SSID that I want to use on diferent site with diferent vlans to use flexconnect local switches enable on advanced TAB

The accesws point should have AP mode as Flexconnect

After i have to add the access point to the its owned group and on the FlexConnect TAB in the AP i configure the native vlan id and vlan mapping  on VLAN mappins when we have the Local Siwtches Enable on the SSID you can change the VLAN ID to the Site VLAN.

after this everything is workin!

Thank you for all

Hi Gregorio,

I am happy to see that you got your issue resolved. But I would like to comment on the below statement. 

"Firts of all I have to change the SSID that I want to use on diferent site with diferent vlans to use flexconnect local switches enable on advanced TAB"

I don't think you need two different SSIDs configured on the WLC for local and flex connect APs. You can have single SSID with local interface on the WLC. But when you do vlan mapping on the flex connect tab in APs, the local vlans at remote sites takes over the vlans on WLC. 

Hi Gregorio310,

The answer is YES, you should select flexconnect local switch on the same WLAN that is being broadcasted in the local site. 

Also, the document mentioned in the above link is pretty straight forward. You can refer it, but if you want to use the same WLAN at local and remote site, then don't configure management interface on the WLAN. 

Configure WLAN similar to how you configure in local site and select flexconnect local switching option. For remote site, once you configure the VLAN mappings on AP, client will get IP address from the mapped VLAN instead of the local VLAN. 

Sorry if I confused you a lot. I don't have a test environment to post you screen shot with examples. 

If i ADD the interface of my remote site on the WLAN the aps of local will not use it?

Hello

I configured the 1 AP in flex conect mode into a new WLAN using the magement interface,  but the client who associate to this WLAN received the IP from the NATIVE VLAN that is my management subnet for APS, how should i do to receive the ip from my remote site subnet on other VLAN?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card