cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 5000 series Camera and DHCP

gregl_2
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone seen that the new Cisco 5000 series cameras wll not pull the proper ip address when you create a Mac Reservation for it based on its mac address as other cameras do.

It uses some UID to perform DHCP and this is not listed anywhere on the camera or camera box.  This makes it difficult to create mac reservations.

Has any discoverd this and found a work around.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

9 Replies 9

Gerald Burgess
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I'm not sure there is a way around that situation.  I've always seen DHCP servers favor the UID over the MAC address.  It might be worth checking your DHCP server's settings to see if you can have it favor the MAC address over the UID.

I'll check around but I don't know if there is a way to turn the UID off at the camera.

I just checked out the DHCP messages from one of our 5010 cameras in our lab and it looks like the UID it's sending is the mac address with a 01 in front of it.

The MAC address of the unit I'm looking at is:

00:04:7d:03:cd:e7

The UID its sending out is:

0100047D03CDE7

Do you have a packet capture utility you can use to try and see what your cameras are sending out?

I'd like to make sure they are all doing the same thing.

Gerald I am not on site any more to be able to get that. But if i remember correctly when you look in the

dchp server once it gets an ip address it Shows UID..........   and the alpha numberic numbers i dont think were the mac address.  i will have

to look at that when one comes up.  Should be today.

thanks

Gerald see attached image from a dhcp server from a previous deployment that i did.

It would be interesting to see what part of the identifier value it keeps in that list is the UID.  The first section (303a30343a37443a30353a) is common among all of them but part of that would be the first part of the UID/MAC address we put out.  I wonder where the rest of it comes from.

What DHCP server are you using?

If you had the UID that was being put out for those I could try to reverse engineer it.

The customers dhcp server is a windows server  cant remember if it is 2003 or 08.

The current implementation is a 2003 server for sure.

Gerald Burgess
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey Greg,

Let's turn this into a case.  I was just talking to one of the guys that works with the camera engineering team and they were unaware that the new model was putting out a UID.  This could break some people's deployment models and I'm hoping we can avoid that.

Do you have an option over on the side to convert the discussion to a TAC case?

Yes Gerald I am in the process of getting that opened for you now.

Do you want me to CC you on the tac case open.

Gerald Burgess
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

yes.  I'll be the one picking it up.